US company based in Washington, DC, that specializes in the design and implementation of passenger biometric recognition, immigration processing, and intelligent information reporting and management systems based on advanced technological solutions. Securiport provides a complete immigration processing solution and analytics to maintain border security. Services include technical analysis, design, implementation and maintenance of software solutions, training, and technical support to the field operations.
Securiport is seeking a Technical Writer to produce high-quality documentation that contributes to the overall success of our lines of products. The ideal candidate will work collaboratively with developers, quality engineers, product managers, and senior management to make software products user friendly. The work primarily consists of documenting existing, changed, and new processes into written procedures. Depending on the process, the writer would both draft and route for review/approval a desktop procedure or a formal procedure using our IT Department’s template.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Determine the needs of end users of technical documentation
- Study products and collaborate with product designers and developers
- Work with technical staff to make products easier to use and thus need fewer instructions
- Create operating instructions, how-to manuals, assembly instructions, and “frequently asked questions” pages to help technical support staff, existing customers, and other users within the company
- Work with computer hardware engineers, scientists, computer support specialists, and software developers to manage the flow of information among project workgroups during development and testing.
- Must be able to understand complex information and communicate the information to people with diverse professional backgrounds.
- Organize and write supporting documents for products
- Use photographs, drawings, diagrams, animation, and charts that increase users’ understanding
- Select appropriate medium for message or audience, such as manuals or online videos
- Standardize content across platforms and media
- Gather usability feedback from stakeholders
- Revise documents as new issues arise
- May conduct research on their topics through personal observation, library and Internet research, and discussions with technical specialists.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Excellent technical writing skills and ability to peer review technical documents for grammar, content and style of writing.
- Demonstrated ability to document business processes and write detailed functional requirements.
- Ability to work under tight timeframes and meet all deadlines.
- Good organizational skills.
- Capability to handle sensitive and complex issues with discretion and good judgment.
Communication skills. Must be able to take complex, technical information and translate it for colleagues and consumers who have nontechnical backgrounds.
Detail oriented. Create detailed instructions for others to follow. Instructions must be detailed and precise at every step so that the instructions can be useful.
Imagination. Must be able to think about a procedure or product in the way that a person without technical experience would think about it.
Teamwork. Must be able to work well with others; be a team player.
Education: Bachelor degree in journalism, English, or communications. Knowledge in a specialized field, such as engineering, computer science, or related highly desirable. Web design experience also is helpful because of the growing use of online technical documentation.
Experience: A minimum of 5 years’ experience as technical writer.
Apply for Technical writer
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly