GIS Analyst II
Fairfax Water has an immediate opportunity for a GIS Analyst II.
Under general supervision of the Chief, GIS, works to develop, implement, and maintain data and applications for Fairfax Water’s Enterprise Geographic Information System (EGIS). The GIS Analyst II will support data maintenance efforts including both office workflows and field data collection. This position will be required to work closely with Fairfax Water’s Information Technology department as well as staff throughout the organization. The GIS Analyst II will support the administration of Fairfax Water’s Relational Database Management System (RDBMS) as it relates to the EGIS.
Facilitate Implementation and Maintenance of Enterprise GIS
- Provide support for the administration and configuration of ESRI’s ArcSDE, ArcGIS Server, and associated applications.
- Coordinate with the IT department to provide hardware, software, and infrastructure requirements for both server side and client side GIS deployments.
- Coordinate and/or participate in dialogue with other Departments regarding the detailed design for the Enterprise GIS applications, functions, and services via meetings, memorandums, and other types of communication.
- Provide project management and change management support as needed.
- Apply GIS technology to perform advance data entry and manipulation, produce documentation, perform spatial analysis and produce reports.
- Lead requirements gathering for GIS applications.
- Analyze programming needs for GIS applications.
- Develops programs, procedures and applications using GIS and related software tools.
- Develop and automate processes to update, maintain, and analyze databases and ensure spatial integrity.
- Provide development, implementation and ongoing operational support for GIS and GIS users.
- Provide training to GIS, P&E, and other GIS users.
- Integrate software products such as CAD, spreadsheet, work processing, graphic, and web publishing with the production and delivery of GIS maps and related products.
- Collect, input, edit, verify, manipulate, model, and analyze spatial data in the GIS.
- Document data entry and related procedures.
- Provide input for the design of future components of the Enterprise GIS to include the technology and network design, and migration and implementation plans.
- Participate in the preparation of justification and cost information associated with proposed GIS applications.
- Create/update/enhance desktop, web-based, and mobile GIS applications using Python, ArcGIS Model Builder, SQL, ArcGIS API for Microsoft Silverlight, Java, HTML5, and ArcGIS API for Windows Mobile.
Performs other duties as assigned or required.
- Graduation from a four year college or university with a Bachelor’s Degree in Geography, Geographic Information Systems, or a related field and at least 3 years professional experience implementing and maintaining in-depth, complex, GIS solutions involving relational databases, or any equivalent combination of education, experience, and knowledge.
- Registration as a Certified GIS Professional preferred but not required.
- Strong knowledge of the methods, principles and practices used in map preparation; the basic principles of cartographic technology; and the terminology, technical symbols, equipment, and instruments of cartographic drafting.
- Experience with database and application design, configuration, tuning, and debugging.
- Experience with GIS supporting water, sewer, electric, or other linear utility applications in an enterprise versioned environment.
- Ability to program in GIS, relational and spatial database, and web languages.
- Strong knowledge of and ability to apply emerging information and GIS technologies.
- Ability to develop and manage complex spatial projects to support GIS initiatives.
- Experience working with ESRI applications and Oracle or other Enterprise level RDBMS.
- Ability to explain highly technical details to others in terms that can be readily understood.
- Ability to use a computer for extended periods of time to perform the essential functions of this position. Knowledge of the personal computer system hardware and software.
- Ability to work well with others.
- Good oral and written communication skills.
- Must pass a controlled substance (drug) test for employment.
Fairfax Water offers a competitive salary and generous benefits package. Applications must be received by July 21, 2017.
A Drug-Free Workplace