GIS Technician II
Fairfax Water has an immediate opportunity for a GIS Technician II.
Under general supervision of the Supervisor, Technical Services, performs system mapping and data maintenance of public water facilities within an Enterprise Geographic Information System (GIS) environment.
Performs system mapping and data maintenance by:
- Conducting peer reviews of system map updates performed by Technical Services staff.
- Updating and maintaining water system maps utilizing the most recent version of ESRI ArcGIS software.
- Updating and maintaining databases related to objects on the system maps.
- Creating “as-built” drawings of existing water main valve locations.
- Compiling information and preparing water system and pressure zone maps.
Performs other departmental related activities by:
- Performing basic data and map queries to support analysis and preparing specialized maps utilizing general GIS functionality and tools.
- Entering and updating subdivision tracking information into SAP as needed.
- Creating Fire Hydrant functional location in SAP and updating attributes as required.
- Responding to inquiries from the public regarding facility location maps and other related information.
- Preparing estimates, visual aids, charts, and graphics for various presentations.
- Performing records research to support special studies or analysis.
- Support GPS data collection activities as needed.
Performs other duties as assigned or required.
- Graduation from high school including or supplemented by courses in GIS, surveying, and technical mathematics used in civil engineering and a minimum of five year’s related experience in the mapping of linear utilities or other features, or any equivalent combination of education, experience and knowledge.
- Working experience with ESRI ArcGIS within an enterprise versioned environment.
- Good knowledge of civil engineering drafting methods, principles, and practices.
- Good knowledge of personal computers with emphasis in Microsoft applications.
- Ability to perform complex engineering and drafting computations and tasks and apply them within an Enterprise GIS environment.
- Ability to read and interpret construction plans and specifications.
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions.
- Must pass a controlled substance (drug) test for employment.
A Drug-Free Workplace