The International Rhino Foundation (IRF), a vibrant, global, wildlife conservation organization based in Strasburg, Virginia seeks a dynamic and innovative individual to serve as Communications Manager.
ABOUT THE INTERNATIONAL RHINO FOUNDATION
The International Rhino Foundation (IRF) works to ensure the survival of the world’s rhino species through conservation and research. Founded in response to intense poaching of Zimbabwe’s black rhinos in the early 1990s, IRF’s commitment helped to reduce the threat and stabilize the population. To this day, IRF-supported conservation programs in Zimbabwe have secured 90% of the country’s rhinos. In five countries across two continents, IRF supports viable populations of the five remaining rhino species and the communities with which they coexist.
Throughout its 25-year history, IRF has funded and managed rhino conservation projects in Asia and Africa. IRF is governed by a 15-person board of directors, which meets once a year. IRF’s annual budget is approximately $5 million, with ten professional employees in four countries. IRF carries out most of its work with trusted partners in range countries, which allows it to remain lean. In 2016, 90% of IRF’s financial contributions went directly to field programs. The IRF has close ties to the zoo community, which generously supports much of its work. IRF’s core values of hard work, partnership, passion, and optimism are at the heart of everything the organization does.
For more information on the International Rhino Foundation, please visit www.rhinos.org.
As a science-based wildlife conservation organization, IRF seeks to scale up communication about its programmatic impact for rhinos in Asia and Africa. The Communications Manager will communicate to IRF’s existing constituency and expand its reach. They will possess the skills to develop and implement a communications strategy that will inspire others to further engage in a deeply worthwhile mission. The Communications Manager will work with the entire IRF team, including the Communications Committee, providing critical oversight of IRF’s communications program.
The ideal candidate is a results-oriented, entrepreneurial individual who is comfortable with both new and traditional media, and who will thrive in a hands-on, fast-paced, and creative global enterprise. The candidate must be able to travel occasionally to field sites in Asia and Africa as well as within the United States.
The broad objectives for the Communications Manager are to:
- Expand the reach, influence, impact, and public recognition of IRF as a trusted science-based conservation organization
- Provide leadership in creating and implementing IRF’s communications and media strategies
- Create and maintain relationships with supporters via multiple platforms, primarily email and social media campaigns
- Develop relationships with key journalists and media outlets
- Grow and foster supporters via results-driven communications strategies
PROFESSIONAL QUALIFICATIONS AND PERSONAL ATTRIBUTES
The Communications Manager should possess the following:
- Passion for social media and digital marketing
- Excellent writing skills, including copy writing, editing, and proofreading for diverse audiences and across different channels
- Demonstrated ability to think creatively, and identify and resolve problems
- Ability to work both independently and with a team
- Attention to detail and the ability to effectively multi-task in a deadline-driven atmosphere
- Ability to clearly and effectively articulate thoughts and points
- High levels of integrity, autonomy, and self-motivation
- Excellent analytical, organizational, project management and time management skills
- Ability to communicate complex issues to a wide range of audiences
- Experience with managing e-mail marketing software and list management (e.g., Mail Chimp, Emma, Constant Contact)
Professional Qualifications and Experience
- 1 – 2 years demonstrated success in social media marketing
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite and Google Suite
- Demonstrated experience working with popular social media advertising platforms especially those found in Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram
- Experience working with social media monitoring tools (e.g., Sprout Social, Radian 6, Twitter Search, Social Mention, Traackr) and popular social media management tools (e.g., Social, TweetDeck, HootSuite)
- Comfort dealing with reactive press inquiries and proactively building relationships with journalists
- Experience running website and e-mail marketing analysis using a variety of tools including Google Analytics as well as internal reporting tools
- Experience working with CMS and building/administering content in CMS environments (WordPress preferred)
- Knowledge of HTML/CSS, WordPress, and website administration
- Design knowledge and experience in using Adobe software such as InDesign, Photoshop and Illustrator a plus, as well as experience using online editing software such as Canva or Adobe Spark
- Video producing/editing experience a plus
- Bachelor’s or associate’s degree
- Passionate commitment to the values and mission of IRF
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to move from ideas to action
- Highest level of personal and professional integrity and quality standards; strong work ethic
- Commitment to teamwork and partnership development
- Willingness and ability to work with a broad range of people, cultures, and disciplines
- Ability to think strategically, tactically, and creatively
- Creative, articulate, and diplomatic, with a healthy sense of humor
Compensation is competitive and commensurate with experience and skills.
How to Apply
Interested candidates should email a cover letter explaining how their skills and background fit this position, three writing sample, and a resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Refer to IRF/Communications in the subject line. No phone inquiries, please.
The International Rhino Foundation is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
All correspondence will remain confidential.