Director of Public Relations- National Environmental Non Profit
Position Summary: The Director of Public Relations provides strategic PR leadership for a national non-profit organization with 30+ local offices. This role is responsible for planning and executing public relations programs designed to create and build a strong, favorable image as the local and national leader in protecting “land for people” and the go-to source for public land issues.
- Work closely with CMO to develop annual, national PR objectives and outreach to dramatically increase brand exposure
- Seek opportunities for local, regional, and national publicity by pitching stories and distributing materials to national media, niche audiences, industry publications, etc.
- Drive overall execution of national PR plan and ensure all media outreach, national and local, reflect the brand strategy
- Collaborate with Media Relations director to manage incoming media inquiries, optimize national and local PR agencies in key markets
- Working closely with Federal Affairs and Media Relations director, leverage current events and local news to support organization’s advocacy efforts and fundraising initiatives
- Write and edit press releases, and assist content team in developing story angles for fact sheets, blog posts, social media, website, internal communication and general marketing needs
- Host media tours, familiarity trips and other press and influencer groups at various Trust for Public Land project sites.
- Develop talking points, provide media training and prep spokespeople as needed. Additionally, serve as brand spokesperson as needed.
- Monitor and track earned media coverage as well as industry news and current events; develop tracking and reporting systems that successfully communicate and leverage earned media across the organization
- Partner with social media manager to monitor daily news stories and strategize responses, shares in social channels
- Based on national objectives, work with Director of Marketing to lead annual PR planning with state and regional offices; provide PR expertise and strategy guidance to marketing managers as they serve local/regional offices
- Develop and manage annual PR budget
- Key liaison with other marketing leaders, executive team
- Other duties as assigned
- 10+ years experience in public relations, including both agency and client-side experience (preferably in a matrixed organization)
- Equally adept across a spectrum of media: from national mainstream media outlets to niche publications to digital influencers to rural local media.
- Expert interpersonal communication and political acumen skills, including strong negotiation and problem recognition/avoidance/resolution skills
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills (writing/editing test required)
- Proven ability to develop tracking and reporting systems that successfully communicate and leverage earned media
- Must be a player-coach—willing to manage staff, agencies and projects simultaneously
- High-energy herder of cats: positive, upbeat attitude
- Highly organized, results-driven individual