Director of Communications
Saint James School
17641 College Rd.
Hagerstown, MD 21740
Position Title: Director of Communications
About Saint James School:
Saint James School is a coeducational, college-preparatory boarding and day school for students in grades 8-12, located on a beautiful 600-acre campus near Hagerstown, Maryland (approximately 70 miles northwest of Washington, D.C.) Saint James prides itself on its close-knit community of students, faculty, staff and administrators. As an Episcopal school, Saint James welcomes students and faculty of all faiths.
The School’s mission is to prepare young men and women for academic success in college, and to challenge and inspire them to be leaders for good in the world. We seek to do this within a small and familial residential community which values the academic, moral and spiritual development of its students.
The Director of Communications is responsible for implementing communications, marketing, and public relations programs that support the overall strategic initiatives of Saint James School. This position reports to the Headmaster and works closely with each member of school leadership. Salary commensurate with experience.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The Director of Communications will:
- Collaborate with the Admissions and Development offices to develop strategies and to recruit prospective students and engage current families and alumni.
- Oversee the production of a variety of print and digital materials to increase the school’s visibility and competitive positioning, and enhance the public’s perception of Saint James School.
- Serve as writer and editor of the Review Magazine (published three times per year).
- Develop and execute marketing materials that engage internal and external constituents.
- Identify emerging marketing opportunities, design effective targeting strategies, and report on results.
- Work collaboratively with Admissions and Development departments to integrate social media into marketing and communications efforts.
- Work across all departments, including Athletics and Arts, to highlight student activities and successes.
- Oversee the School’s graphic identity and brand standards to ensure that the School Store, Athletics, and other departments are compliant. Manage creation and printing of letterhead, envelopes, business cards, and other collateral materials so they are brand compliant.
- Shape and maintain the strategic and creative direction and content of the school’s website. Develop and post content, including news stories, pages, calendar items, photos, and more.
- Work with subject area experts across departments to edit, develop, and post new content to enhance the site.
- Develop and manage an integrated online presence on social media platforms. Collaborate across departments to develop content on a daily basis for the school’s social media channels.
- Cultivate and maintain working relationships with members of the media. Serve as official point of contact for public information.
- Assist with the Bai Yuka yearbook, as a co-advisor. Help guide students and edit content.
- Supervise professional consultants and contractors, as needed, to address specific communication and marketing goals.
- Edit a variety of materials submitted for print and electronic publications, web content, and social media posts.
- Work closely with a half-time Development Office associate to plan annual social media calendar and to develop content/posts each day.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree required in English, journalism, communications, marketing, or related field. Advanced degree preferred.
- 5-7 years of experience in communications and/or marketing; experience with independent schools or nonprofit organizations strongly preferred.
- Expertise in developing and executing branding and marketing strategies across diverse channels.
- Demonstrated experience with photography, website content development, social media marketing, and videography oversight.
- Strong editorial skills and excellent attention to detail.
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills.
- Proven ability to manage competing priorities and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Creativity and a keen aesthetic for good graphic design and layout; demonstrated graphic design skills preferred.
- Mastery of MSOffice software, fluency with CMS interfaces and desktop publishing software required (InDesign strongly preferred.)
- Flexibility to work weekends, early mornings and evenings at various campus events.
Please send a resume, cover letter, list of three references, and three portfolio materials (PDF or web links) to email@example.com.
Must email documents directly to the provided email above. We will not accept online applications via any website.
For best consideration, please email documents prior to July 15th. Accepting applications until filled.