Vice Dean, Business & Professional Programs
Vice Dean, Business & Professional Programs
The Undergraduate School
Exempt, Regular, Full-time
University of Maryland University College (UMUC) seeks an energetic, accomplished leader to serve as Vice Dean for Business and Professional Programs (BAPP) within The Undergraduate School (TUS). One of the nation's most dynamic and innovative institutions of higher education, UMUC is a leader in serving the needs of adult working adults, military personnel, and other students around the globe. UMUC is one of 11 degree-granting institutions in the University System of Maryland, and serves approximately 85,000 students worldwide.
The Vice Dean will oversee the work of program chairs and support staff in the areas of Accounting, Business Administration, Management Studies, Health Services Management, Human Resource Management, Finance, Economics, Marketing, Criminal Justice, Legal Studies, Investigative Forensics, Public Safety, Homeland Security, Emergency Management, and Fire Science Administration. The Vice Dean provides overall accountability and quality assurance for the work of program chairs, including the recruitment, development, and ongoing support of program faculty. This position reports directly to the Vice Provost & Dean of The Undergraduate School.
The successful candidate for the role of Vice Dean, BAPP, will:
- Demonstrate a commitment to serving the needs of working adult and military students
- Be a strong communicator and an effective advocate for UMUC's mission to support student learners
- Lead the BAPP Department in maintaining the highest standard of service and support for student learners
- Possess the drive and requisite skills to lead curricular change, process improvement, and other innovations that better serve the needs of our students
- Be a creative thinker in touch with changes and innovations in higher education
- Collaborate with colleagues and contribute to strategic planning as part of the Dean's leadership team
- Build productive relationships with colleagues across TUS and across the University
- Ensure accountability for regular and ongoing review and support of faculty teaching
- Provide oversight, direction, and support for program chairs to practice effective communication to faculty
- Ensure that all programs provide faculty with ongoing opportunities for engagement in curricular initiatives
- Complete all other job-related duties as assigned
Required education and experience: An earned Master's degree from a regionally accredited institution of higher learning in a relevant field and at least five (5) years leading, managing, motivating, and inspiring people as an academic administrator in higher education.
Preferred experience: An earned doctorate from a regionally accredited institution of higher education. Comfortable using information technology and related teaching and management tools; significant experience making effective decisions with sound analytical ability and good judgment; excellent verbal and written communication skills; experience working in a fast-paced environment and the ability to foster and develop internal and external relationships to further enhance a collaborative academic community; publications/presentations or other professional accomplishments in the areas of distance and/or adult education, learning outcomes assessment, competency-based education, developmental education, and applications of educational technology or other relevant areas.
POSITION AVAILABLE IMMEDIATELY & WILL REMAIN OPEN UNTIL FILLED
SALARY COMMENSURATE WITH EXPERIENCE
All submissions should include a cover letter and résumé. UMUC offers competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits for qualifying positions, such as tuition remission, generous leave and healthcare. For detailed benefits information, please visit: https://careers.umuc.edu/benefits.html.The University of Maryland University College (UMUC) is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal and state laws regarding nondiscrimination. UMUC is committed to a policy of equal opportunity for all persons and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, disability, religion, ancestry, political affiliation or veteran status in employment, educational programs and activities, and admissions.
If you are an external candidate, you are required to create an account prior to completing your application. Passwords for external accounts must contain 8 characters including 1 uppercase letter, 1 number, and 1 special character. Please remember this password, as it will be required to check on the status of your application or to apply to additional jobs.