The National Academy of Sciences, National Academy of Engineering, and National Academy of Medicine work together as the National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine to provide independent, objective analysis and advice to the nation and conduct other activities to solve complex problems and inform public policy decisions. The National Academies also encourage education and research, recognize outstanding contributions to knowledge, and increase public understanding in matters of science, engineering, and medicine.
The Transportation Research Board (TRB) is one of seven major programs of the National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine. The mission of the Transportation Research Board is to increase the benefits that transportation contributes to society by providing leadership in transportation innovation and progress through research and information exchange, conducted within a setting that is objective, interdisciplinary, and multimodal. The Board’s varied committees, task forces, and panels annually engage about 7,000 engineers, scientists, and other transportation researchers and practitioners from the public and private sectors and academia, all of whom contribute their expertise in the public interest. The program is supported by state transportation departments, federal agencies including the component administrations of the U.S. Department of Transportation, and other organizations and individuals interested in the development of transportation.
The Conference Manager plans and executes the logistics for meetings, conferences, workshops, and other special events, including arranging food and beverage services, and coordinating necessary personnel and technical needs and requirements, such as audiovisual equipment, internet, etc. Serves as a liaison between the TRB Meetings Department and a variety of internal and external customers. Provides information and guidelines. Answers inquiries and resolves complaints and issues with customers, vendors, and hotels. Ensures meeting requirements are successfully met. Tracks expenses, reviews and approves hotel/vendor invoices, and prepares and maintains extensive reports and records on activities and related costs. Uses content management software to set up registration websites, and generate attendee badges. Assembles and ships conference materials.
Working under general supervision and functioning with the ability to deviate from subscribed courses of action as needed, incumbent applies general professional knowledge and principals of function to solve problems requiring the identification and analysis of various factors and uses independent judgment and discretion to recommend best course of action. Incumbent may lead and/or supervise lower level support employees and may establish processes and procedures to ensure the effective and efficient operation of routine support functions.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES:
1. Plans and executes logistics for conferences/workshops/meetings. Meets with event organizer to determine needs. Assigns function rooms, coordinates room set-ups, arranges ancillary services, and ensures meeting requirements are fulfilled. For off-site venues, assembles, packs, and ships all materials to the meeting site, and ensures that they are received.
2. Collaborates with other operational units to facilitate support requirements for events and meetings. Coordinates personnel and technical needs and requirements. Provides overall expertise regarding conference planning.
3. Serves as liaison between the National Academies and internal and external customers. Prepares and communicates cost estimates. For off-site activities, may conduct site visits to inspect properties, solicit bids on vendor quotes for service, and negotiate rates and services. Reviews agreements and ensures compliance. Resolves vendor issues.
4. Oversees and maintains meeting/conference data. Creates, updates, and maintains information on the audio/visual, facility, food and beverage, and other support requirements for scheduled meetings and other events, and provides information to staff and external groups. Prepares hotel resumes and function specifications.
5. Monitors daily project requirements. Prepares progress reports. Prepares daily reports. Monitors meeting schedules, confirms requirements, and identifies and resolves inconsistencies. Monitors hotel pickup and notifies director/manager of any trends that could lead to under performance or to rooms selling out.
6. Compiles and reports information to management. Researches and compiles data for presentations and reports.
7. Prepares preliminary and actual budgets based upon meeting requirements. Where applicable, establishes or recommends registration fees. Processes any fee payments received. Reviews and approves payment of invoice vouchers. Reviews contractual obligations and ensures activities are performed according to contractual requirements. Reconciles bills after meetings and performs follow-up financial review.
8. Prepares and disseminates logistical information for participants. Disseminates meeting/conference materials.
9. Provides onsite management of activities at some offsite venues. Distributes conference materials, reviews room set-ups, coordinates presenters/speakers audio-visual requirements, and collaborates with the conference center or hotel staff as necessary. May attend conferences to resolve on-site problems in person.
10. Assists in managing vendor relationship. Serves as the point of contact for outside vendors.
NONESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES
Related duties and special projects as assigned.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
Good database skills. Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite. Ability to solve complex intellectual problems. Ability to operate with appreciable latitude for independent judgment and action. Ability to work successfully in a team environment and to form and maintain effective teams. Experience working in complex environments with a high degree of organizational effectiveness. Ability to develop relationships with co-workers and employees in other National Academies’ departments through effective communication. Excellent communication skills with a proven ability to effectively interact with all levels of employees, members, and vendors.
If you already have an account created with the Academies, to apply to this position, click “Add to my Jobs” with your login information. If this is your first time applying with the Academies, please click “Apply for this position” below.