Healthcare Education Writing Specialist
Do you want to use your writing skills to support the continuing education of healthcare professionals who work to conquer cancer worldwide?
Cancer strikes more than 10 million people worldwide each year. As the leading medical society representing a diverse network of more than 40,000 oncology professionals, the American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO) is committed to conquering cancer though research, education, and promotion of the highest quality patient care.
Who we are:
ASCO is a stable, forward-thinking, growing membership organization that operates in a results-oriented work environment in which employees’ evaluation emphasizes performance outcomes over presence or time. This is an Alexandria, VA position that offers an excellent benefits package and opportunities to participate in professional development programs. To learn what it’s like to work at ASCO, click here.
Who we are looking for:
The American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO) has an exciting opportunity for a highly motivated Healthcare Education Writing Specialist in our Education, Science and Professional Development department. This person will develop and write content that exemplifies ASCO’s commitment to continuing healthcare education by identifying and communicating how educational activities address the practice gaps and educational needs of oncology professionals, as well as drafting and reviewing content describing educational activities and initiatives.
What you will do:
- Demonstrate expertise in conveying through writing how educational activities, across a variety of topics and formats, integrate adult learning principles and demonstrate best practices in education, consistent with accreditation standards
- Create and sustain a comprehensive reference library that outlines the practice gaps and educational needs of the oncology team. Using this and other information, develop and write full educational needs assessments, outlines and/or summaries based on the requirements of the activity and the organization
- Partner cross-departmentally to draft or review content that supports ASCO educational activities
- Collaborate with stakeholders to maintain the Society’s status as an accredited CE provider, to include writing contributions to annual reports reviewing ASCO’s education program and portfolio of activities for internal and external uses
- Partner with team members in coordinating timelines, providing feedback, strategizing workflow improvements, and identifying opportunities for innovation that enhance the team’s ability and capacity to meet results and deliver exceptional results
- Provide exceptional customer service both internally and externally, effectively responding to CE-related inquiries across media
What you will need in order to be successful:
- Bachelor’s degree in an education, science or healthcare-related field, master’s degree preferred
- 5+ years of experience in healthcare/scientific writing (oncology preferred)
- Experience researching and writing educational needs assessments grant writing, or drafting similar content
- Familiarity with continuing healthcare education/adult education standards and best practices (experience with Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME), American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC), American Council for Pharmacy Education (ACPE) or other accredited activities preferred)
- The ability to work successfully in a fast-paced environment managing multiple projects and shifting priorities
- Superior communication skills across audiences and formats with the ability to synthesize complex content into summaries for multiple stakeholders
- Demonstration of cross-team collaboration skills and ability to think strategically and creatively while offering insight and recommendations