IDA is a federally-funded research and development center that produces objective, high-impact analyses or the Department of Defense (DoD). IDA prides itself on the quality and timeliness of these analyses, and its multi-disciplinary problem-solving approach. Under general supervision, the Benefits Specialist participates in the day-to-day administration of IDA’s benefits programs including support to the HRIS and intranet online input and plan information postings. Responsibilities include new hire benefits orientation, preparing and supporting annual plan enrollments, assisting with benefits-related communication materials, processing elections and changes made in person, email, employee self-service, and other means; prepares or verifies enrollments, changes and numerous plan remittals.
- Provides instruction and support to IDA employees regarding employee benefits, claims, eligibility and plans interpretation. Answers routine questions, provides standard/procedural information, and performs routine resolutions or referral on matters for escalation.
- Administers new employee benefits orientation and ensures all benefits materials and processes are in compliance with IDA practices, federal and state regulations;
- Receives, reviews, and processes documents pertaining to benefits enrollment, life event changes and personnel actions; verifies for completeness, accuracy, and compliance with established practices and procedural requirements.
- Administers the on-line on-boarding process.
- Maintains and updates the benefits content on the IIS (IDA's internal site) and other databases. Enters and maintains employee benefits information and changes into the HRIS; partners with HRIS/IT to ensure quality data is transmitted to all vendors via encrypted interfaces; helps in testing the HRIS system for benefits open enrollment programs; researches and resolves HRIS issues affecting employee benefits.
- Works with applicable staff in developing and implementing instructional workshops or employee wellness programs such as CPR, blood drives, flu shots and other similar efforts.
- As instructed, compiles and analyzes financial and statistical data for administrative benefit reporting and program evaluation. Reconciles and processes monthly bills for all benefit plans.
- Administers Service Appreciation Awards Program coordinating with Corporate Communications and vendors for the announcement on IDA TV and service awards packages.
- Administers the SMART Benefits program.
- Assists with compliance, filings, reports and audits related to proper benefits administration under Federal and State regulations. Participates in benefits surveys and local networks for benchmarking best practices.
- May support filing and other employee record-keeping requirements as directed by HR Director, Assistant Director or Supervisor Benefits.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- High school diploma required; Bachelor degree in related field preferred
- At least five years of experience supporting benefits in a fast-paced service-oriented team environment.
- Ability to handle and process sensitive information.
- Excellent organizational and problem solving skills, keen attention to detail and strong work ethic and attitude.
- Ability to communicate effectively in a professional manner, exercising tact and diplomacy at all levels; demonstrated initiative.
- Must be computer proficient with MS Office suite and have demonstrated aptitude for routine mathematical and statistical applications as well as business correspondence; prior use of an HRIS system is desired.
- US Citizenship is required.
- Ability to obtain and maintain necessary security clearance.