The American Association of University Women (AAUW) is the nation’s leading voice promoting equity and education for women and girls. Since our founding in 1881, AAUW members have examined and taken positions on the fundamental issues of the day — educational, social, economic, and political.
Summary Description: Serve as the graphic designer in the design and production of AAUW’s print and digital publications and collateral materials to promote AAUW and its mission: advancing equity for women and girls through advocacy, education, philanthropy, and research.
- Work with members of the A&E team in producing publications and collateral materials effectively and efficiently while achieving a high level of quality, aesthetics, and maintenance of AAUW’s graphic standards.
- Meet with internal clients and other members of the A&E team during the initial “creative” meeting and subsequent meetings to determine clients design needs/expectations for each project as well as its scope, and help develop design strategies to reach a particular audience.
- Design, lay out, and produce print publications and collateral materials, working in collaboration with members of the A&E team and internal clients but also as an independent graphic designer.
- Create collateral materials for clients, including brochures, newsletters, posters, postcards, business cards, bookmarks, flyers, and other promotional and marketing materials. Obtain or create artwork (photos, illustrations, and other graphics) for publications.
- Develop graphics for product illustrations, logos, and websites. Determine overall design concepts for each product as well as the colors, images, and fonts to be used.
- Working collaboratively with the online content team to design web graphics for the AAUW website and social media sites, including e-cards, homepage features, shareables, and web stickers.
- Handle multiple design projects simultaneously—both print and digital—under extremely tight deadlines. Prioritize, negotiate, and resolve conflicting project demands with others, working collaboratively but understanding that deadlines and budgets must be met.
- Perform production and publication management functions from project request through design, production, and invoicing, including follow-up with staff and vendors.
- Work collaboratively and effectively as a member of the A&E team and with staff in other departments as a member of the overall AAUW staff team. Provide technical assistance/support to AAUW member leaders on their production and design task as needed
- Perform other related/comparable tasks as required and assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in graphic design, communication arts or related field. Strong design and layout skills with 3 to 5 years design experience in an in-house creative department or design firm.
- Expert knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite. Experience with HTML and video a plus.
- Experience in web-based design preferred.
- Excellent organizational, workflow, and time management skills.
- Ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously and meet tight deadlines.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work collaboratively as part of a team, as well as independently on projects and assignments.
- Interest in equity for women and girls and/or related social justice issues preferred.
Apply: Submit a résumé, cover letter and portfolio to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applicants without an online or PDF portfolio will not be considered.