Technical Accounting Advisor
7 days left
- Full Time
Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer including Vets and Disabled
No. Vacancies: 1.00
Department: 13016.Operations Accounting and Financial Reporting
Location: McLean, VA
Travel %: None
Education: Four-year college degree
Experience: At least 7 years of experience required
Equivalency: Equivalent combination of education & experience not considered
Does this position have direct reports: No
Join an innovative team that is responsible for transforming the customer experience by creating and bringing to market new products and services based upon globalized connectivity without boundaries. We reach beyond the traditional satellite industry and the broader communications landscape. As part of the Intelsat vision, we will define new products with the performance, features, and flexibility required to open new profitable markets, drive new revenue streams and ensure the most reliable and secure communications globally. To accomplish our goal, we are looking for bold thinkers to fill this role and continue our legacy of innovation for decades to come.
As part of the Controller's organization, you will be responsible for working with the business offices worldwide to provide guidance on the accounting treatment and structure for significant transactions (including new product/service offerings and acquisitions), as well as assisting in the development and implementation of accounting policies, including ASC 606. You will be expected to work closely with all functions across the organization including but not limited to: Sales, Marketing, Accounting, Business Development, Investor Relations, FP&A and Financial Reporting. The position will focus on providing support and experienced consultation on business transactions and related reporting by identifying and addressing accounting and reporting policy issues and opportunities to include complex technical accounting issues including but not limited to revenue recognition, leases, impairments, etc., or other critical technical account matters as they arise. In addition, participate as a key support role in the SEC Reporting' function by assisting in the continual monitoring of current and emerging financial accounting issues and assist in the determination of the impact to Intelsat.
You must have the following to be considered for the role:
- A Bachelor's degree from an accredited university with a major in accounting or finance.
- Certified Public Accounting (CPA) certification or equivalent.
- At least seven (7) years of demonstrated financial reporting, accounting and accounting research experience with a national public accounting firm.
- Thorough working knowledge of U.S. GAAP, SEC, IFRS (desired) and other accounting and reporting standards.
- Experience in researching and developing technical accounting procedures and positions in response to complex accounting issues, with the ability to draft position papers, suggest policy actions and otherwise provide formal written guidance to management regarding those issues.
- Ability to consistently make decisions in a timely manner sometimes with incomplete information and under tight deadlines and pressure.
- Proficiency with MS Office Word, Outlook, PowerPoint and advanced proficiency with MS Excel.
- Effective written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to integrate and balance priorities, work activities and resources for the benefit of multiple stakeholders.
The following are considered a plus:
- Command over core business processes (i.e. Accounting, Financial Reporting, Procurement, Accounts Payable, Revenue Recognition, etc.)
- Knowledge and understanding of the following areas: ERP systems, ability to evaluate risk impact and vulnerability, experience driving Sarbanes Oxley (SOX) work, multinational compliance experience.
- Lead technical accounting research and apply judgement in the evaluation of arrangements in all areas of the business to include supporting our business unites with their assessment of accounting issues;
- Work cross functionally to ensure appropriate treatment of business transactions, including but not limited to business combinations, revenue arrangements, investments, impairments, etc.;
- Work closely with the SEC reporting group in preparation of the 6K and 20F filings;
- Work cross functionally to ensure appropriate treatment of business transactions, including but not limited to business combinations, revenue arrangements, investments, impairments, etc., to include coordination of information gathering from other departments to complete required analysis and assistance in the adoption of new standards where applicable;
- Prepare technical accounting memos supporting conclusions to include drafting white papers, positions papers on the Company's position around technical accounting topics;
- Monitor, interpret and implement new financial reporting pronouncements, including the new revenue recognition and leases standards;
- Plan and coordinate research of technical accounting issues related to the Company and discussions with its outside auditors regarding the company's evaluation of technically complex transactions;
- The ability to sell ideas persuasively, settling differences without damaging relationships; can be direct while remaining diplomatic and fostering trust to influence key decisions;
- Provide guidance, oversight and training to team members on a project basis to include creating and presenting different training and GAAP update courses to accounting staff and upper management; and
- Update, integrate and provide guidance on Company-wide accounting policies.
- Assist in preparation of ad-hoc reports and analysis as necessary.
- Interface with external auditors and other advisors, as required
- Assist with special projects as needed.
- These statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees assigned to this job. This is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of employees assigned to this job.
- Company description: Intelsat is the largest provider of fixed satellite services worldwide. We enable providers of media, telecom and government services to deliver information and entertainment to people at home, in the office or on the move. On a day-to-day basis, Intelsat supplies video, data and voice connectivity in approximately 200 countries and territories for approximately 1,800 customers, many of which Intelsat has had relationships with for over 30 years. Some of the world's leading media and communications companies, multinational corporations, Internet service providers and government/military organizations hallmark Intelsat's customer base. Customers access capacity through extensive service offerings, which include transponder services, hybrid managed services combining satellite capacity and terrestrial facilities, and channel services.