Public Policy Director
3 days left
- Full Time
The Mental Health Association of Maryland (MHAMD) is a nonprofit organization. Since 1915, MHAMD has been a leader in progressive programs resulting in more effective treatment, improved outcomes for individuals, increased research and greater public understanding of the needs of children and adults living with mental illness. We envision a just, humane and healthy society in which all people are accorded respect, dignity and the opportunity to achieve their full potential free from stigma and prejudice.
MHAMD seeks a sophisticated, dynamic team player with legislative, political and/or advocacy experience to fill the position of Public Policy Director. Reporting to the Senior Director of Public Policy, and working collaboratively on a daily basis with other members of the public policy team, the Public Policy Director is responsible for managing and advancing a variety of public policy goals, with a specific focus on child, family and other specialized initiatives.
Responsibilities / Duties
- Bachelor’s degree required and at least 2 years of experience in legislative, political and/or advocacy work
- Familiarity with legislative and political processes, and expertise in policy analysis and development
- Excellent strategic planning, analytical, research, oral and written communication skills
- Strong initiative, organizational skills, ability to work independently and manage multiple projects simultaneously, and flexibility in responding to frequently changing environment and needs
- Belief in citizen action and consumer involvement in public policy
- Ability to work with and motivate diverse groups of individuals, and operate effectively in a team environment
- Commitment to the highest ethical standards of lobbying and professionalism
- Ability to work extended hours, including weekend work, as necessary, particularly during the state legislative session
- Reliable transportation for business use, and willingness and ability to travel as needed
- Commitment to advancing MHAMD values, mission and goals; knowledge of health and behavioral health issues preferred
- Implement public policy initiatives as directed, including child and family initiatives
- Monitor, analyze and react to health and behavioral health policy developments impacting assigned areas, and collaborate with Senior Director of Public Policy and public policy team in strategy implementation
- Represent MHAMD before the Maryland General Assembly, serve on external committees as assigned, and cultivate effective working relationships with key elected officials, policy makers and staff of related governmental bodies as relevant to assigned issue portfolio
- Prepare written and communication materials, including policy positions, fact sheets, legislative proposals, testimony, website and social media content, alerts, correspondence and related materials
- Work in partnership with external partners and manage Coalition initiatives as assigned
- Implement grassroots advocacy strategies
- Provide staff support and perform other duties as assigned
MHAMD offers a generous and comprehensive compensation and benefits package commensurate with experience.
Email or send a letter of interest with salary requirements, resume, and a writing sample to:
Kris Butcher (email@example.com)
Subject: Public Policy Director
Application materials may also be mailed to: Kris Butcher, Mental Health Association of Maryland, 1301 York Rd, #505, Lutherville, MD 21093
Application materials will be reviewed as received and accepted until the position is filled.
MHAMD is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. All qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, physical or mental disability, or covered veteran status.
Apply for Public Policy Director
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly