Physical Education Teacher - Special Education - ED - 2017-2018
The Foundation Schools is a special education day school which delivers innovative school programs and support services for children and adolescents with emotional disabilities, autism spectrum disorders and other learning challenges. The Foundation Schools is accepting resumes for a Physical Education Teacher candidates for the 2017-2018 school year to work at our Gaithersburg campus.
The mission of The Foundation Schools is to provide a highly specialized educational and therapeutic program for students with emotional and other disabilities and social emotional and learning challenges, preparing them to be productive and successful in their future academic and career paths. We are seeking qualified teachers to provide our students with the tools and guidance they need to be successful.
Teachers at The Foundation Schools employ special education strategies and techniques to provide quality instruction that results in the students’ mastery of approved curriculum and that promotes social, emotional and cognitive learning. Teachers effectively manage student behavior through implementation of behavior management systems, school rules and policies.
For over 40 years, The Foundation Schools’ mix of academic support and therapeutic services has given our students a chance to reach their full potential. The Foundation Schools is currently approved by the State of Maryland and the District of Columbia to provide services to students who have not been successful in their home school’s environment. The Foundation Schools has schools in Gaithersburg and Largo, Maryland that serve over 200 students in grades K-12.
Our Core Values’ provide a strong foundation for our programs, are integrated into our positive behavior intervention system, drive our actions and guide our staff and students daily to TWIRL (Teamwork, Work Ethic, Integrity, Respect, and Leadership). We offer a supportive working environment with small class sizes and excellent resources.
The Foundation Schools offers a comprehensive benefit package including tuition assistance and a generous retirement package. Visit our website at www.foundationschools.org for more information.
- Employ special education strategies and techniques to provide quality instruction that results in the students’ mastery of approved curriculum and that promotes social, emotional and cognitive learning
- Demonstrate knowledge of subject and the ability to teach content area
- Create lesson plans that utilize a variety of teaching methods, including the use of technology, to engage students and actively encourage student participation and interaction
- Demonstrate the ability to adapt classroom environment, activities, teaching styles, behavior management practices and lesson plans to meet the needs of diverse learners
- Establish expectations for learning and set standards for classroom participation and behavior; encourage students’ ownership and contribution to the classroom
- Use observation and assessment tools to determine students’ needs and adjust behaviors and practices to accommodate those needs; evaluate instructional effectiveness, document and share modifications based on data, reflection and feedback
- Provide a safe, appealing and engaging classroom that is conducive to learning
- Demonstrate knowledge of special education laws and regulations; complete required documentation within assigned deadlines including documentation for students’ IEP, BIP and FBA
- Demonstrate an understanding of how emotional disabilities impact our students’ behavior and ability to learn; display awareness of students’ diagnoses and adapts behavior strategies accordingly to implement the requirements of the student’s IEP.
- Effectively manage student behavior through implementation of behavior modification systems, school rules and policies; models appropriate behavior for students during the school day
- Proactively identify and address behaviors that could lead to a crisis, unsafe environment or disrupt the learning environment; administer effective and appropriate strategies during a crisis intervention including the participation in restraints when necessary.
- Work with school leaders, collaborate in teams, and work with related service providers and student support staff to discuss students’ academic and behavioral progress and plans
- Teachers may serve as student advisers; actively participate in group activities, committees and meetings.
- Supervise teaching assistants and dedicated student aides assigned to their classroom.
Education, Experience and Certification Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree or higher is required, preferably in education, special education or related field
- Maryland certification in Physical Education
- Two or more years of experience in a special education setting, preferably working with students with emotional disabilities is preferred
- Knowledge of IDEA 2004 and its specific applications to educating students with emotional disabilities and other disabilities
- Bilingual (Spanish/English) abilities are a plus
Physical, Interpersonal and Cognitive Requirements
- Utilize basic office equipment such as computer, telephone, fax, copier, etc.
- Complete reports and data input while using a variety of computer programs
- Move and carry supplies; light lifting, non-repetitive
- Maintain a professional demeanor and relationship with students, colleagues, families and community partners
- Work positively and collaboratively with others
- Maintain a professional work ethic and meet the standards of professionalism including appropriate dress, attendance and timeliness
- Demonstrate effective time management and organization skills
- Prioritize & plan work activities
- Use time and resources efficiently, set realistic action plans and goals
- Speak clearly and be understood by others
- Read and express thoughts in a written format
- Possess and demonstrate a high level of mental and emotional balance
- Respond quickly and tactfully to crisis situations while using critical thinking to assess problems
- Work with minimum supervision and meet deadlines
- Physically restrain or assist in student restraints
- Possess sufficient mobility to provide instruction and manage student behaviors
Apply for Physical Education Teacher - Special Education - ED - 2017-2018
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly