PIPEFITTER WORKER (LANDSCAPE IRRIGATION), WG-4204-8
The mission of the Architect of the Capitol (AOC) is to serve Congress and the Supreme Court, preserve America's Capitol and inspire memorable experiences. Under the leadership of Stephen T. Ayers, FAIA, LEED AP, the roles and responsibilities of the Architect of the Capitol cover an expansive and diverse portfolio. The AOC is responsible for the maintenance, operation, development and preservation of 17.4 million square feet of buildings and more than 553 acres of land throughout Capitol Hill. The AOC provides a welcoming and educational environment for millions of visitors through the U.S. Capitol Visitor Center and the US Botanic Garden. The AOC also provides professional expertise on the preservation of architectural and artistic elements entrusted to its care. Learn more at www.aoc.gov.
The AOC prides itself on its Core Values of Teamwork, Integrity, Pride and Professionalism.
The PROFESSIONALISM and INTEGRITY of each AOC employee demonstrates our dedication to providing quality services and our commitments to holding ourselves to the highest standards.
We recognize that we do our best work through TEAMWORK, each of us lending our individual strengths and talents to the greater goal of the entire team. We respect each other and rely on each other in our efforts to make the AOC a center of excellence.
We take PRIDE in what we do and in the honor of serving Congress, the Supreme Court, and the American people each and every day.
- Not Required
You must meet all eligibility and qualification requirements by the closing date of the job announcement.
SCREEN-OUT: Ability to perform the work of the position without more than normal supervision which includes showing job responsibility and exercising initiative.
** The incumbent of this position is designated as “Emergency / Essential” and will be required to report to work during emergencies and inclement weather conditions and other emergency situations.**
This position is located in the Capitol Grounds jurisdiction, Maintenance Division, Plumbing Branch. The incumbent serves as a Pipefitter Worker (Landscape Irrigation) and works under the guidance of a higher grade worker or supervisor to perform progressively more responsible duties and responsibilities on a gradual basis to develop journey level skills in plumbing and pipefitting.
Specific duties and responsibilities include the following:
- Makes repairs to traps, broken tile pipe, leaky drains, etc. by removing, cleaning, replacing, packing, and sealing defective parts of utility, supply, and disposal systems. Completes needed repairs to install plumbing systems such as water heaters, disposal units, toilets and faucets.
- Assists with the installation of major 12 inch diameter, steel pipe for fire hydrant installation and repair. Modifies and repairs new and existing utility sewer lines, water lines, disposal systems and fire extinguisher sprinkler heads.
- Receives TMA work orders, oral instructions, and sketches that provide specific information on the work to be done, location of the work site, the kind of repairs to be made and materials that will be needed.
- Installs, maintains and repairs complex landscape irrigation systems including electronically controlled large output heads to drip irrigation tape. This includes programmable valves, timing and water control flow valves.
- Lays out and install piping and water delivery components; backflow prevention components; mechanical, hydraulic and electrical irrigation controls; and other irrigation system components.
- Troubleshoots and repairs irrigation components and systems.
- Collects site data in regards to landscape water requirements and use. Develops a basic irrigation schedule in conjunction with gardening teams. Works with gardening teams to manage overall irrigation water use. Provides direction to the end users on system use, scheduling, maintenance and water conservation.
- Maintains historic exterior ornamental fountains throughout the Capitol campus. This process includes seasonal startups and shut downs as well as cleaning and maintenance throughout the season.