Associate Translation Specialist (904-679)
The Associate Translation Specialist is a non-supervisory position responsible for processing English documents into Spanish translated documents by performing guided translations and editorial content review in compliance with previously approved translations and USP translation resources. This provides support with correcting and maintaining a variety of Spanish documents required for production of both print and online publications; to perform quality assurance tasks; requires some supervision while performing daily tasks.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Follows the workflow of the translation process to the expected level of quality for publication of USP-NF Spanish edition and its’ Supplements.
- Performs guided translations of USP monographs in compliance with approved translations, USP English-Spanish Glossary, and USP Spanish Style Guide.
- Translates revised general chapters files with minimal supervisory assistance.
- Performs editorial content revision between English and Spanish documents ensuring the quality of the translation before delivery for scientific review, including content, style, grammar, syntax and spelling.
- Keeps abreast of latest style and terminology updates provided by the Spanish Translation Expert Panel.
- Researches previous editions, glossary, translation memories, and style guide to obtain the most appropriate translation and/or present translation.
- Corrects approved revisions for Spanish translated documents in
- Reviews assigned documents for content, style, grammar, syntax and spelling.
- Communicates with science experts as needed to ensure quality and clarity of content.
- Assists in performing QA functions to ensure the quality of Spanish translated documents.
- Participates in the continual process improvement of translation resources and instruction documents to maintain consistency and quality.
- Translates and manipulates graphic files in order to maintain proper formatting.
- Supports the Translation Production Coordinator with pagination and publication processes.
- Answers questions related to the translation process.
- Performs other duties as assigned by supervisor.
- BS or BA degree in Translation, Journalism, Writing, English and/or Foreign Language Studies or a combination of education and professional translator experience and translation certification from a recognized translation-related association may be considered.
- At least one year of experience in a translation and/or editing environment in both English and Spanish.
- Experience with CAT software platforms (MemoQ preferred).
- One year of tagging experience with
- High proficiency in English and Spanish i.e. reading, writing, speaking.
- Strong organizational and interpersonal skills.
- Excellent oral and written communication in both English and Spanish.
- Excellent investigative skills, ability to utilize and apply several different resources at the same time.
- Proficient knowledge of Microsoft Office software (word processing, email, spreadsheet, database, and Internet).
- Must work independently, be a team player and work well in a tight, deadline-driven environment.
- Must possess analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Must have ability to take direction and produce defined results.
- Must possess an eye for detail, know how to mark up a document quickly and thoroughly for punctuation, grammar and style errors, and be proficient using standard proofreader's notation.
- Ability to work with multiple projects at the same time, take direction and produce defined results.
- Must possess ability to handle multiple priorities in a fast-paced environment.
USP offers an impressive benefits package, including:
- Generous paid time off – 13 paid holidays, 10 sick days and 15 vacation days per year to start
- An annual 401(k) contribution, beginning after 1 year of service, of 10% of pay (base and bonus) every pay period that vests immediately
- Comprehensive individual and family healthcare plans with affordable premiums and low annual deductibles ($250/individual or $500/family)
The U.S. Pharmacopeial Convention (USP) is a scientific nonprofit organization that sets standards for the identity, strength, quality, and purity of medicines, food ingredients, and dietary supplements manufactured, distributed and consumed worldwide. USP’s drug standards are enforceable in the United States by the Food and Drug Administration, and these standards are used in more than 140 countries.
Being a part of USP means belonging to a diverse culture made up of more than 1,000 talented professionals working together at five international locations. We share our expertise in science, IT, human resources, quality assurance, communications, administrative management, and more...all to support an overall mission dedicated to making a difference by providing standards and programs that help improve the quality of medicines, dietary supplements, and foods worldwide.
USP is proud to be an equal employment opportunity employer (EEOE) and affirmative action employer. Employment selection and related decisions are made without regard to sex, race, age, disability, religion, national origin, color, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other protected class. We are committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities.
USP does not accept unsolicited resumes from 3rd party recruitment agencies and is not responsible for fees from recruiters or other agencies except under specific written agreement with USP.Job Location Rockville, Maryland, United States Position Type Full-Time/Regular