Economist - GS - 0110 - 09/11/12 (Open to U.S. Citizens) BP
6 days left
- Full Time
This position is an Economist within the Industry and Economic Research Division of the Office of Planning and Analytics (OPA). You will participate and support all economic analyses and regulatory evaluation in OPA and develops economic models to help evaluate safety risk. You will also assess the costs, benefits, efficiency, and impacts of PHMSA’s safety programs along with a variety of economic evaluations to help develop program and policy alternatives.
The ideal candidate for this position possesses an academic background and work experience in economic analysis and evaluation. Experience with Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Access, and other statistical and/or forecasting model software is highly desired. Additionally, ideal candidates would possess excellent data collection and research skills. PHMSA is looking for someone who is highly motivated, who can facilitate processes, and who can communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, at all levels of the organization.
This position offers excellent benefits. Alternative work schedules and telework schedules are available. Offices are located within minutes from the Navy Yard Metro station and within blocks from the Nationals Ball Park stadium.
To meet the minimum qualifications for this position, you must (1) meet the Education Requirement for the series, (2) provide a copy of transcripts for verification, AND (3) meet the specialized experience requirements.
To qualify for the GS-09 on Experience, you must have at least one year of specialized experience equal or equivalent to the GS-07 grade level in the following:
- Experience researching, collecting, and organizing economic and/or statistical data from varied information sources.
- Experience preparing analytical reports, forecasts, models, presentations, and/or documents utilizing statistical software such as Microsoft Excel or Access.
- Experience analyzing and developing conclusions based on large volumes of data.
To qualify for the GS-09 on Education alone, you must have at least 2 years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to a master's degree or have been awarded a master's or equivalent graduate degree. This must be fully supported by transcripts, that you provide with your application.
You can also qualify based on a combination of graduate education and experience.
To qualify for the GS-11 on Experience, you must have at least one year of specialized experience equal or equivalent to the GS-09 grade level in the following:
- Experience conducting literature searches and collecting relevant economic or statistical data from varied information sources to analyze a specific problem or issue.
- Experience applying statistical analyses to data and designing tables, charts, and/or models to illustrate relevant findings.
- Experience developing economic assessments to evaluate standards, policies, and procedures related to regulatory and safety programs.
To qualify for the GS-11 on Education alone, you must have 3 years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to a Ph.D. degree or Ph.D. or equivalent doctoral degree. This must be fully supported by transcripts, that you provide with your application.
You can also qualify based on a combination of higher level graduate education and experience. This must be fully supported by your resume and transcripts, provided with your application.
To qualify for the GS-12 on Experience, you must have at least one year of specialized experience equal or equivalent to the GS-11 grade level in the following:
- Experience using economic theory and statistical and econometric methods for conducting research, preparing analyses, and developing economic models.
- Experience organizing, integrating, and presenting economic and statistical data from varied information sources.
- Experience applying economic assessments to make recommendations regarding standards, policies, and procedures related to regulatory and safety programs.
You cannot qualify on education at this level, you must have experience.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
Applicants must meet all qualification requirements by the closing date of this announcement.
MANDATORY EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS FOR ECONOMISTS:
- Degree: Economics, that include at least 21 semester hours in economics and 3 semester hours in statistics, accounting, or calculus. OR
- Combination of education and experience--courses equivalent to a major in economics, as shown in above, plus appropriate experience or additional education.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- SELECTIVE SERVICE: Males born after 12/31/1959 must be registered for the Selective Service.
- GOVERNMENT TRAVEL CARD: This position involves travel. A government contractor-issued travel card will be issued and must be retained for official business only.
- DEU REQUIREMENTS: Applicants selected under delegated examining procedures may be required to successfully complete a one-year probationary period (unless already completed).
Public Trust - Background Investigation