Paralegal Supervisor (D.C.)
***This a working Paralegal Manager role; must meet 50% of billable hours requirement.
Metro-accessible D.C. office of Am Law 50 law firm seeks a Paralegal Supervisor to support their Washington, D.C. and Northern Virginia offices. The Paralegal Supervisor will handle the day-to-day supervision and administration of the D.C. and NoVA Paralegal Program (will travel to VA as needed) as well as regular paralegal responsibilities and will perform related department and Firm duties as assigned.
- Coordinating workflow, establishing priorities, and assigning projects as needed; reviewing paralegal hours to help manage effective distribution of work and ensure hour expectations are met; proactively working with attorneys in all practice groups to help ensure effective utilization of paralegals.
- Managing evaluation process, including: annual reviews, introductory reviews, and formal check-in meetings; ensuring substantive reviews are prepared and delivered in a timely and appropriate manner.
- Following Firm guidelines and performance goals, recommending compensation adjustments for paralegals, including merit increases, market adjustments, promotional adjustments, high personal services awards, etc.
- Ensuring that performance issues are addressed appropriately, fairly, and efficiently; assisting in the performance management counseling and termination processes for paralegals; collaborating closely with Human Resources throughout counseling processes.
- Ensuring Firm policies and practices are followed; proactively promoting consistency and fairness, maintaining open door policy, and promoting open dialog.
- Ensuring paralegals effectively meet client service objectives; maintaining contact with paralegals to determine workloads, training and technology needs, staffing issues, and job satisfaction, to exchange information and address general concerns and issues; conducting regular meetings with paralegals.
- Reporting on office utilization and paralegal hours; assisting in developing and implementing programs, policies, and procedures to address issues and concerns.
(Recruiting, Orientation and Training)
- Participating in paralegal recruitment, coordinating with Human Resources; assisting in drafting job descriptions for open positions; coordinating orientation and training of new paralegals with Human Resources and the Director of Paralegal Services.
- Meeting with new attorneys to provide overview of Paralegal Program and paralegal services.
- Assisting with the development and delivery of substantive paralegal training programs.
- Assisting in the development and maintenance of manuals, guidelines, checklists, and other training aids for paralegals.
- Assisting in identifying and developing designated paralegals as training resources in various departments and practice groups as needed.
- In conjunction with the Information Technology Department, coordinating and implementing training for paralegals in the use of computer technology in all relevant areas.
- May recommend and approve attendance at outside educational seminars and programs.
- May assist other managers and practice group heads in coordinating team training programs involving the coordinated activities of attorneys, paralegals, and secretaries for the office.
- Monitoring attendance, overtime, and time records; reviewing and approving weekly electronic time sheets; approving PTO requests and maintaining paralegal PTO schedule.
- Preparing and submitting time notes for all billable work with reduced billable hours expectations.
- Helping to ensure that monthly time note deadlines are met.
- Assigning work rooms and ensuring work rooms are properly utilized and maintained.
A B.A. or B.S. degree and at least six years of paralegal / supervisory law firm experience are required.
Salary is commensurate with experience.
If interested, please submit your resume in Word format to firstname.lastname@example.org along with a brief introduction about yourself.
We look forward to hearing from you!