Commercial Construction Estimator
Commercial general contractor in search of "interiors" based estimator. A Bachelor's degree in a related field is preferred, or an Associate's degree in a related field (construction management, civil engineering, or mathematics, etc.) plus three to five years of relevant experience (relevant experience should include three years in the commercial construction industry). Work experience must include one to two years in the Washington, DC area within the last three years. Proficiency with first year college level math is required. Must be thoroughly familiar with Microsoft Office, including Word and Excel. Prefer knowledge and/or experience with estimating software and scheduling software (Microsoft Project). Must possess excellent written and verbal communication skills and be highly focused, detail-oriented, and analytical. Must be able to work independently with limited supervision and manage multiple tasks and meet critical deadlines on a routine basis. Special skills include proficiency in working with numbers, cost data and the application of basic college level math principles.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Shall represent the company at all times in a manner that supports the firm's mission statement and is consistent with its core business values.
2. Conduct thorough site investigations to determine existing conditions that may impact project cost and schedule.
3. Thoroughly read and understand all pricing/bid documents for comprehensive knowledge of project requirements and impact on cost and schedule.
4. Pre-qualify and select subcontractors based on project requirements to obtain competitive pricing and compliance with project schedule.
5. Assist in bid document distribution and management for estimating. Includes ordering and reproduction of bid documents, initiating bid invitations to subcontractors including follow-up, distribution of bid documents, distribution of project addenda, and tracking subcontractor participation.
6. Perform material take-offs and provides quantity survey information necessary for the development of comprehensive work scope packages.
7. Prepare written work scope packages for all assigned trades and obtain vendor pricing and subcontractor cost proposals.
8. Thoroughly reviews subcontractor cost proposals and qualifications to determine completeness, accuracy and compliance with the bid documents, and best value.
9. Develops and prepares conceptual cost budgets and full cost estimates based on bid documents and work scopes.
10. Develops and prepares cost savings strategies when requested.
11. Assist in the pricing of change orders when requested.
12. Assist in the development of project schedules by researching material and equipment lead times and coordinating subcontractor scheduling requirements.
13. Assist in the development and distribution of estimating/pre-construction proposals, to include preparing drafts and final proposals, final proposal distribution and follow-up with clients.
14. Coordinates estimating activities with owners, A/E's, CM's, and subcontractors/vendors to resolve technical issues and to comply with all solicitation requirements.
15. Participates in formal presentations to owners, A/E's, CM's, etc., and assists in developing presentation material.
16. Assists in purchasing activities, to include awarding of purchase orders and subcontracts as directed and under the supervision of the Director of Pre-construction Services.
Other responsibilities include:
1. Provide detailed take-offs and/or scoping of all assigned trades to determine complete scope of work requirements.
2. Provide accurate cost projections based on comprehensive work scopes.
3. Provide cost savings recommendations when requested that reduce project cost.
4. Provide material and/or equipment alternatives when requested that benefit project cost and schedule.
5. Ensure accuracy and completeness of pricing documents in order to minimize risk of unanticipated costs or schedule delays.
6. Provide a thorough knowledge of material and product lead times and their impact on the project schedule.
7. Pre-qualify subcontractors and vendors to ensure competitive pricing and compliance with the project schedule.
8. Minimize financial risk by ensuring subcontractors and vendors are provided with timely and accurate project information.
9. Provide timely and accurate information in support of the development of cost proposals.
10. Win competitively bid projects based on accurate and complete cost estimates, and assist in being awarded negotiated projects and fee-based proposals.
Apply for Commercial Construction Estimator
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly