Communications Associate (Part Time)
As Communications Associate, you will work alongside the school’s Director of Development, Development Associate, and other members of the Two Rivers team to grow and expand our communications program. You will assist in the implementation of existing programs, including internal communications tools, outreach materials, and print collateral; and broadly convey the organization’s story and brand to internal and external audiences: families, staff, partners, and the general public. This position is a part-time position.
In this role, you will be responsible for the following:
- Collect and analyze information about newsworthy events to write stories for publication or broadcast, capturing only-at-Two Rivers moments, annual events and activities, and special visitors
- Develop and edit marketing and donor communication pieces for both on and offline vehicles including, but not limited to eNewsletters, general and program brochures, and donor reports
- Design and complete timely updates and improvements on the school’s websites (TwoRiversPCS.org and LearnwithTwoRivers.org)
- Co-manage the school’s email marketing and social media presence on Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn to build and strengthen relationships, increase Two Rivers’ reach by driving traffic to our website, and communicate key messages
- Serve as a point of contact for press requests and proactively identify media relations opportunities to garner positive earned media; assist with coordination of media outreach and coverage with media releases, TV/radio interviews, feature stories, press conferences, etc.
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s or higher degree from an accredited college or university
- Minimum of two years of administrative or management experience is required; candidates with two or more years of experience in at least one of the following areas is desirable: marketing, public or media relations, communications, or education
- Highly organized with a keen attention to detail and results-oriented
- Exceptional verbal, written, and presentation skills
- Strong editing skills
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office suite and computer programs
- Good technical knowledge of imaging for both print and web
- Basic graphic design/layout experience and familiarity with the Adobe Creative Suite desired
- Experience using web content management systems (Weebly, Finalsite) desired
- Must be able to travel independently between multiple work sites
Located in Northeast Washington, D.C., Two Rivers Public Charter School serves a diverse group of more than 750 students in preschool through eighth grade. Staff at Two Rivers create an exciting educational environment in which students and staff become a community of learners on a journey of discovery. Two Rivers uses EL Education, an expeditionary learning model that emphasizes interactive, hands-on, project-based learning. The school focuses on the whole child, recognizing the importance of character education and the social-emotional needs of children while helping them achieve academic excellence.
As one of D.C.’s high-performing charter schools (ranked by the city’s charter board), the Two Rivers staff share a strong belief that all children can learn and be high achievers. The curriculum at Two Rivers is rigorous, standards-based, and provides opportunities for students to excel in all areas. An integrated arts program and a content-based Spanish program augment the schools demanding academic program. These elements come together through learning expeditions that allow students to incorporate and apply their classroom learning through real-world experiences.
In fall 2013, the city awarded Two Rivers the historic Charles E. Young School Building, which is located nearby in the Carver Langston neighborhood in Northeast Washington, D.C. Two Rivers opened the new campus in 2015 serving more than 170 students in preschool through first grade during its first year. Each year following, Two Rivers at Young will add a grade level until it serves students through their eighth grade.
What’s Attractive to the Right Candidate?
- You will have the opportunity to shape a successful and growing communications program. What you bring to the table is significant to our success.
- You will have a direct impact on educating children and setting them up for success. Our school is looked upon as a model for other educational institutions.
- You will be part of an innovative organization where staff are respectful and responsible to one another, and where your experience, opinions, and expertise will be valued.
Two Rivers values its team of amazing professionals. Staff receive the support of a welcoming and appreciative group of families; a leadership team that values employees and provides feedback, encouragement, and accountability; professional growth opportunities; and fun colleagues - people who care about their work, work hard, and want to have a good time while they’re doing it.
Two Rivers is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate all applicants without unlawful consideration of race, religion, age, color, sex, national origin, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, or any other basis prohibited by applicable law.