PERSONNEL SECURITY (Student Trainee USDA Pathways Internship Program)
The Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS) is the agency in the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) responsible for protecting the publics health by ensuring the safety of the Nations commercial supply of meat, poultry, and processed egg products.
USDA is a great place to start or continue your career. It's ranked as one of the top 10 "Best Places to Work in the Federal Government" by the Partnership for Public Service (Best Places to Work Rankings). Rankings are based on employee feedback regarding satisfaction with their work experience. For more information on USDA and the Food Safety and Inspection Service, visit FSIS.
This position is located in the Office of Management (OM), Office of Human Resources (OHR), and Labor Employee Relations Division (LERD).
This is an indefinite appointment expected to last for the duration of the students academic attendance and may be non-competitively converted to a term or permanent appointment if all training, program, and educational requirements are met.
The incumbent of this position serves as a student trainee working directly with the supervisor to become acclimated to personnel security work by performing limited duties in scope and complexity. This work experience supports non-competitive promotion to a Personnel Security, GS-0080-12 with career progression through grades GS-9, 11 and GS-12.
PLEASE NOTE: This vacancy is limited to the first 50 applications received and will close at 11:59pm ET on the closing date or at 11:59pm ET on the day we receive the 100th application, whichever comes first.
- Not Required
To qualify for the GS-07 USDA Pathways Internship Program, applicants must meet the following requirements:
- Completion of 1 full academic year of graduate level education; or Eligibility under the Superior Academic Achievement (S.A.A.) Provision and completion of a bachelor's degree.
S.A.A. is based on (1) class standing, (2) grade-point average, or (3) honor society membership.
- Class standing -- Applicants must be in the upper third of the graduating class in the college, university, or major subdivision, such as the College of Liberal Arts or the School of Business Administration, based on completed courses.
- Grade-point average (G.P.A.)-- Applicants must have a grade-point average of:
- 3.0 or higher out of a possible 4.0 ("B" or better) as recorded on their official transcript, or as computed based on 4 years of education, or as computed based on courses completed during the final 2 years of the curriculum; or
- 3.5 or higher out of a possible 4.0 ("B+" or better) based on the average of the required courses completed in the major field or the required courses in the major field completed during the final 2 years of the curriculum.
- All academic degrees or course work must be completed in an educational institution that has obtained accreditation from an accrediting body recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. For a list of schools that meet this criteria, see http://www.edu.gov/.
- Must be in good academic standing as defined by the educational institution.
- Must have at least one year of academic study remaining.
- Must be enrolled on at least a half-time basis or accepted as a degree seeking student on at least a half-time basis.
- A post-secondary certificate program must have been completed at a qualified educational institution equivalent to at least 1 academic year or full-time study that is part of an accredited college-level, technical, trade, vocational, or business school curriculum.
- All requirements must be met by the closing date of this announcement.
- A signed participant agreement is required for employment under Pathways.
- May require drug testing dependent on position/location.
- If converted to a career or career-conditional position, the selectee must be a U.S. Citizen or U.S. Permanent Resident (with proper documentation).
- Have your salary sent to a financial institution of your choice by Direct Deposit/Electronic Funds Transfer.
- Must complete and pass a background and security investigation.
- If you are a student veteran, complete the questionnaire and submit documentation (DD-214, VA Letter, SF-15 and proof of requested on the SF-15 if claiming 10-point Veterans’ preference or DD-2014 if claiming 5 point preference or VEOA eligibility (separated under honorable conditions after 3 years or more of continuous service.
- Complete at least 640 hours of work experience prior to completion of degree.