Senior Learning UX/UI Designer
Senior Learning UX/UI Designer
Exempt, Regular, Full-Time, Pay Grade 3.1
University of Maryland University College (UMUC) seeks a Senior Learning UX/UI Designer. TheSenior Learning UX/UI Designer is a team leader who collaborates with academics, learning designers, editors, graphic artists, web app developers, and others, to design and build innovative learning experiences.
SPECIFIC RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE
Acts as the team lead in user experience and is responsible for the overall UX and UI solutions to stakeholders via prototypes, detailed specifications, and other communication methods as appropriate.
Manages multiple ongoing projects as UX/UI lead and expert to create user experience designs (interface design comps, visual design specifications, prototypes, etc) for medium- to large-scale projects.
Collaborates with internal and external leadership teams, product managers, and learning design leads to define and implement innovative solutions for project direction, visuals, and user experience.
Assigns general tasks to appropriate team members to leverage specific skill-sets based on project requirements and needs.
Works closely with client and project teams to complete the information architecture and interface development processes for new projects including site map, wireframe layout, and template development/testing (browser and platform compatibility) while maintaining quick page load times.
Collaborates with artists, learning designers, and developers to ensure that visual design mockups are created with strong consideration towards usability, consistency and tailored success metrics.
Conducts and facilitates project requirements, designs, and implementation reviews.
Creates and revises information architecture diagrams including but not limited to: content diagrams, content maps, wire frame diagrams, comprehensive diagrams and static prototypes.
Applies design concepts with responsive design and on multiple mobile platforms.
Performs other duties as assigned.
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor's degree in Visual Communication Design, Human-Computer Interaction, Graphic Arts or Graphic Design, Cognitive Science, Industrial Design or related field required.
- Must regularly develop applications/web modules according to the software development lifecycle (SDLC).
- Must have experience working in a collaborative environment, where projects are assigned and must be completed by deadlines.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills are required, especially in communicating technical information to non-technical audiences.
- A friendly, positive attitude is required to support communications with internal and external clients.
- Must be organized and detail oriented, with documentation experience.
- Must be able to work independently within a cross-functional team environment
PREFERRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Knowledge of HTML5, XML, version control (SVN/GIT), and Linux are strongly preferred.
- Exposure to web scripting with PHP, Python, Ruby or Scala would be welcome, as would experience building applications that connect to databases.
- Data storage and retrieval experience using JSON, SQL or XML is desirable, as is an interest in developing games for educational use.
- The preferred candidate will have exceptional analytical skills and strong troubleshooting expertise with web content.
- The preferred candidate will have knowledge of the latest web content standards, including accessibility issues.
- Experience in an Agile work environment is preferred.
POSITION AVAILABLE IMMEDIATELY & WILL REMAIN OPEN UNTIL FILLED
SALARY COMMENSURATE WITH EXPERIENCE
All submissions should include a cover letter and résumé. UMUC offers competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits for qualifying positions, such as tuition remission, generous leave and healthcare. For detailed benefits information, please visit: https://careers.umuc.edu/benefits.html.The University of Maryland University College (UMUC) is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal and state laws regarding nondiscrimination. UMUC is committed to a policy of equal opportunity for all persons and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, disability, religion, ancestry, political affiliation or veteran status in employment, educational programs and activities, and admissions.
If you are an external candidate, you are required to create an account prior to completing your application. Passwords for external accounts must contain 8 characters including 1 uppercase letter, 1 number, and 1 special character. Please remember this password, as it will be required to check on the status of your application or to apply to additional jobs.