Executive Assistant - HMD Executive Office
The Health and Medicine Division (HMD) is a division of the National Academy of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine. HMD’s aim is to help those in government and the private sector make informed health decisions by providing evidence upon which they can rely. HMD previously was the Institute of medicine (IOM) program unit of the National Academies. On March 15, 2016, the division was renamed HMD, building on the heritage of the IOM’s work in medicine while emphasizing its increased focus on a wider range of health matters.
Provides complex confidential administrative support requiring broad experience, skill, and knowledge of organization policies and practices to the Executive Director of the Health and Medicine Division (HMD). Conducts research in support of executive activities and prepares presentations. Composes correspondence, memoranda, and reports. Screens calls and visitors and independently resolves inquiries. Schedules and maintains Executive Director’s calendar. Plans meetings and travel itineraries and coordinates related arrangements.
Under general guidance, incumbent is responsible for advanced secretarial and administrative support for the Executive Director of HMD. Requires a detailed knowledge of organization operations, procedures, and personnel. Makes independent decisions regarding planning, organizing, and scheduling work. Manages assigned functions and projects. Establishes processes/procedures to ensure the effective and efficient operation of administrative operations.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES:
1. Manages day-to-day operations of the office, including answering and screening incoming calls and visitors and writing and editing correspondence. Manages activities and correspondence, determining what should be handled by the executive and what can be handled by others. Delegates items to be handled by others and follows-up to ensure proper disposition. Maintains calendars and plans meetings. Schedules and prepares background materials for meetings. Coordinates travel, lodging, and other logistics for meetings. Arranges and participates in conference calls. Creates, maintains, and updates records, databases, and files.
2. Researches and compiles data and information for preparation of presentations and reports. Ensures proper format and adherence to National Academies’ administrative policies and procedures. Where applicable, coordinates Governing Board/Council materials and proposals for the Presidents’ committee.
3. Researches and compiles information for use by executive in the conduct of their work. Examples include identifying potential sponsors and preparing background research, planning and preparing outreach activities, and researching and keeping abreast of changes in constituencies.
4. Interacts with all levels of National Academies’ employees, members, donors, and volunteers as well as the general public, government officials, and distinguished guests. Anticipates the needs of committee members, etc. and responds independent of direction from executive. Applies broad knowledge of HMD activities to respond directly to inquiries and act independently to resolve issues.
5. Develops documentation specific to the HMD and advises staff on related processes and procedures. Ensures consistent application of organizational policies and procedures.
6. Prepares and processes financial paperwork, including expense reports and invoice vouchers, and ensures expenses are within budget parameters.
7. Supports a variety of activities related to work of HMD. This includes providing support to the Division committee, managing committee appointments, balloting and nomination processes, event planning and management, and responsibility for other significant activities.
8. Oversees administration of special projects or programs.
9. Mentors and trains new administrative staff.
10. Related duties and special projects as assigned.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities: Ability to solve problems of variety and complexity using originality and ingenuity. Ability to operate with appreciable latitude for independent judgment and action. Experience working in complex environment with a high degree of organizational effectiveness. Ability to work successfully in a team environment. Ability to develop relationships with co-workers and employees in other National Academies’ departments through effective communication. Excellent communication skills with a proven ability to effectively interact with all levels of employees.
If you already have an account created with the Academies, to apply to this position, click “Add to my Jobs” with your login information. If this is your first time applying with the Academies, please click “Apply for this position” below.