Media Relations Officer - Office of News and Public Information
6 days left
- Full Time
The National Academy of Sciences, National Academy of Engineering, and National Academy of Medicine work together as the National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine to provide independent, objective analysis and advice to the nation and conduct other activities to solve complex problems and inform public policy decisions. The National Academies also encourage education and research, recognize outstanding contributions to knowledge, and increase public understanding in matters of science, engineering, and medicine.
The Media Relations Officer position for the Office of News and Public Information provides an excellent opportunity to join a fast-paced public relations department that works with top-tier news outlets on a daily basis. Our ideal candidate is an excellent writer who can translate complex Information to a lay audience across a variety of multimedia platforms - from traditional to digital social media. The Media Relations Officer will serve as a key strategist to disseminate information about reports, events, and other newsworthy activities of the National Academies to journalists and to wider audiences via social media. We are currently seeking a Media Relations Officer with exceptional news instincts and people skills to cover several program divisions.
The Media Relations Officer's responsibilities include:
1. Following the divisions' reports and events to gauge their newsworthiness and develop an accompanying media-relations strategy.
2. Writing press releases, media advisories, magazine articles, and web and digital media content that focus on key messages, and moving documents through institutional review process.
3. Pitching stories to journalists and garnering widespread and accurate coverage in local, national, and international outlets, as well as across digital and traditional media.
4. Planning and implementing social media strategies.
5. Monitoring print and online publications for stories affecting the National Academies and science policy.
6. Identifying and rapidly responding to opportunities for media coverage on National Academies Issues and capitalizing on those opportunities.
7. Tracking coverage of the National Academies in traditional and digital media and helping create daily, quarterly, and periodic media reports with analytics.
8. Organizing and conducting press conferences and public briefings.
9. Responding to media inquiries and interview requests, cultivating contacts in the media, and serving as spokesperson when appropriate.
10. Providing strategic advice on complex communication issues to senior management.
11. Crafting key messages and talking points, and coaching experts on how to explain their findings to lay audiences.
12. Directing the work of media assistants.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, and ABILITIES:
At least two years of related professional experience in media relations and/or public affairs preferred. Ability to think strategically and serve as a resource to others in the resolution of complex problems and issues. Need to operate independently and exercise significant latitude for independent judgment. discretion, and action. Must work successfully in a team environment and have the skill to form and maintain effective teams. Experience working in complex environments with a high degree of organizational effectiveness. Ability to develop relationships with co-workers and employees in other National Academies' departments through effective communication. Excellent written and verbal communication skills with a track record of distilling complex issues to public audiences. Keen news instincts with good understanding of media relations, social media, and crisis communications. Proven success pitching story ideas to journalists, and planning and implementing social media strategies. Interest in public policy, and in science, technology, or health policy. Ability to navigate crisis situations. Experience working with leaders of organizations, senior management, and people in the news.
**Experience in public relations for non-profit, University, or scientific Institution is desired.**
If you already have an account created with the Academies, to apply to this position, click “Add to my Jobs” with your login information. If this is your first time applying with the Academies, please click “Apply for this position” below.