Human Resources Business Partner
Be a part of Plan: Plan International USA is part of the Plan International Federation, a global organization that works side by side with communities in over 50 developing countries to end the cycle of poverty for children, young people, and their families. Plan works at the community level to develop customized solutions and ensure long-term sustainability. Our solutions are designed up-front to be owned by communities for generations to come and range from clean water and health care programs to education projects and child protection initiatives.
The position of Human Resources Business Partner (HRBP) is primarily responsible for aligning the organization’s business objectives with staffing and management needs. The position works as a strategic partner with team managers and directors of International Programs and focuses on many facets of HR work, with a priority on recruiting and retaining talent. The HRBP will also support the on-boarding process, performance management, staff development, and the successful resolution of employee issues for the International Programs Unit as well as partnering with others on and outside of the team to develop and drive organizational-wide talent management initiatives. The position is also responsible for managing the processes associated with maintaining personal employee information in accordance with internal policies and payroll practices and legal and compliance requirements.
The position has an integral role in driving culture and creating an atmosphere where team members have clear objectives, are driven toward success, and have a supportive and effective environment in which to perform to high expectations.
S/he is a member of the Human Resources Team and works in coordination with other team members in RI and DC.
Key Activities for the Business Partner Role
Recruitment and Onboarding
- Quality, timely, efficient recruiting efforts including specialized international recruitment for institutional programs and key personnel for field programs
- Supports the International Program Business Development Unit in recruiting, hiring, and onboarding key personnel with a focus on communicating expatriate benefits and liaising with Plan International’s headquarters on expatriate benefit packages.
- Utilizes innovative approaches to recruitment such as through LinkedIn and other social media site; stays up to date on effective recruitment strategies
- Developing and nurturing partnerships with hiring managers to ensure that candidates meet competencies, experience, and skill sets needed for the job
- Helping to develop and execute a robust on-boarding program; followed by a comprehensive new hire orientation program for 100 percent of new hires
- Developing contract terms, as appropriate for temporary consulting or fixed term assignments
- Tracking HR metrics, inclusive of organizational recruitment efforts
HR Support and Employee Relations
- Understanding the support function of the team and providing excellent service to all team members
- Working with team members to develop, coordinate and recommend changes for the improvement of workflow
- Working in partnership with the Director to develop and deliver training programs to ensure compliance with policies and procedures
- Assist with the development, updating, and dissemination of HR policies, guidelines, and practices
- Helping to analyze trends and develop metrics in partnership with HR team members to report on initiatives and trends and to use data to develop solutions
- Managing and resolving complex employee relations issues. Conduct effective, thorough and objective investigations
- Analyzing needs and recommending solutions to human resource issues, especially relating to assigned area
- Responsible for ensuring that appropriate transactions for employees (benefits changes, payroll changes, etc.) are completed and routed in a timely and efficient way, meeting all associated deadlines
- Working with the Director and Plan’s employment attorney to understand implications of employment law and legal impact on HR decision making; management of risk and ensuring regulatory compliance
- Working with team managers and directors to identify talent management opportunities
- Providing day to day performance management guidance to team managers (coaching, counseling, career development, disciplinary advice, as needed)
- Working closely with management and employees to improve work relationships, build morale, and increase productivity and retention
- Assisting in reinforcing the adherence to Plan’s core values and promoting a positive and professional corporate culture
- Developing creative solutions to employee learning and growth opportunities, with specific focus on high performing staff
- Acts as trainer and coach for the performance process
Compensation and Benefits
- Supports the design and implementation of a sound compensation and benefits program; may serve as administrator to some aspects of the programs.
- Assists and supports the Director o develop and adhere to compensation strategy; Conduct regular compensation benchmarking to ensure organization’s competitiveness
- Leads and delivers a health and wellness strategy to support overall staff welfare
- Keep abreast of regulatory requirements and ensure compliance with state and federal laws
- Maintains and updates job descriptions for position clarity and position fit within grade structure
- Works with Plan’s immigration attorney on behalf of staff around immigration and visa needs
More About Plan
Plan is a child-centered community development organization working with communities in over 50 countries to end the cycle of poverty for children and their families. We invite our staff to embrace Plan’s mission, working in partnership with management, peers, donors, and other supporters in an effort to make lasting change for children and families around the world.
We aspire to five core values that help us define our culture and to inform our business decisions: Accountability, Passion, Integrity, Respect, and Excellence - AsPIRE. Plan expects all staff to exhibit and embrace these values in every part of their work lives.
We are committed to adhering to Plan’s Child Protection Standards and protecting the wellbeing of children in any situation that may arise. The protection of children is everyone’s responsibility.
Plan offers opportunities for growth and development through internal and external training opportunities. We value the ideas and opinions of staff at any level and provide forums in which those can be shared with others.
Plan is an equal opportunity employer and follows all laws associated with the EEOC.
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills
- Ability to problem solve and make decisions that move the business forward
- Strong sense of teamwork and collaboration; able to flourish as part of a team
- Ability to manage and resolve conflict
- Excellent recruiting skills; ability to recruit domestically and globally
- Excellent knowledge of HR practices
- Flexible and willing to adjust to pressing needs
- Self-directed and motivated to succeed
- Strong interpersonal and negotiation skills
- Sound business ethics and judgment; maintains high level of confidentiality
Education and Experience
- BA Degree required in Human Resources or related field required; Masters preferred
- Minimum of 7+ years’ experience in an HR Management role
- Knowledge of HR disciplines including employee relations, performance management, employment law, and talent management
- Experience in hiring expatriates and managing expatriate benefits
- Preference given to HR experience in the INGO sector
- Human Resources certification a plus