TRANSPORT TOPICS, the transportation industry’s award-winning news weekly and website covering trucking and freight transportation, is seeking an, innovative, social media savvy Content Manager. The incumbent will be responsible for the accuracy, editorial style and content of stories appearing in Transport Topics, TTNews.com and all related supplemental products. This position is located in our Arlington, VA headquarters office. This role has no supervisory or budgetary responsibilities.
- To ensure real time updates to Transport Topics.com, works daily with all three Managing Editors / Multimedia, Print and Features on developing stories including visual aids.
- To ensure real time updates to Transport Topics.com, works daily with Digital Media Manager to determine length of all video’s to be uploaded on to Transport Topics.com.
- To ensure real time updates to Transport Topics.com, works daily directly with the photo, video editors and graphic designer to select the correct type of visual including determining if length of video is correct and meets original specs for the storytelling process.
- To ensure real time updates to Transport Topics.com, works daily to coordinate with production department (Print) and Digital Media Manager (Digital) to ensure that the all components connected to the each story are loaded properly to Transport Topics.com.
- Daily and weekly, ensures all content is on- brand, consistent in terms of style, quality and tone of voice, and optimized for search and user experience for all channels of content- print, online, newsletter, social, mobile, video, etc.
- Daily (Web) and weekly ( Print) edits all Transport Topics products by reading and correcting all content for grammar, spelling, punctuation, AP Style, accuracy, content and consistency for all TT publications and web sites to ensure timely and accurate turnaround of content.
- Daily (Web) and weekly (Print) writes Headlines/Cutlines/Captions.
- Daily (Web) and weekly (Print) works with reporters, freelancers and editorial assistants on the crafting of stories and development of all content for all Transport Topics Products.
- Develops working knowledge of the important issues for the trucking industry to ensure and improve the quality and consistency of the news products offered by Transport Topics and Transport Topics.com.
- Stays up-to-date with developments and generates new ideas to draw audience’s attention
- Daily (Web) and weekly (Print) ensures that all documents meet established content standards and assess any technical challenges in displaying the content.
- Works in and understands the Falcon and Druple systems.
Knowledge and Skills:
- BA/BS in journalism or English plus 2 years copy editing and writing experience required; or in lieu of degree 5 years of editing and writing experience;
- Previous publications experience, including creating content for digital, particularly at newspapers, is preferred;
- Excellent editing skills as well as communication both written and oral;
- Proficient in MS Word, Falcon, and Drupel systems;
- Working knowledge of AP Style;
- Ability to multitask and prioritize; must be able to judge news quickly
- Proven experience with social media journalism and video required.