Media Relations Officer
The Department of Health & Human Services (HHS), Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) works in partnership with the entire health care community to improve quality and efficiency in an evolving health care system and provides leadership in the broader health care marketplace.
CMS' effectiveness depends on the capabilities of a dedicated, professional staff that is committed to supporting these objectives. A career with CMS offers the opportunity to get involved in important national health care issues and be part of a dynamic, fast-paced, and highly visible organization. For more information on CMS, please visit: http://www.cms.gov/.
This position is located in the Department of Health & Human Services (HHS), Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS), Office of Communications (OC), Media Relations Group (MRG), Washington, DC.
WHO MAY APPLY: This is a competitive vacancy, open to all United States Citizens or Nationals, advertised under Delegated Examining Authority. Selections made under this vacancy announcement will be processed as new appointments to the civil service. Current civil service employees would therefore be given new appointments to the civil service; however, benefits, time served and all other Federal entitlements would remain the same. Click here for more information and definitions regarding applicants who may apply to this vacancy announcement.
This vacancy is also being announced concurrently with vacancy announcement number CMS-OC-MP-17-1973733 under merit promotion procedures. If you wish to be considered under both announcements, you must apply separately to each announcement. In addition, applicants eligible under non-competitive appointment authorities (e.g., Schedule A, Veterans Recruitment Appointment (VRA), 30 Percent or More Disabled Veterans, etc.) who are interested in applying for this position, please apply under vacancy announcement number CMS-OC-MP-17-1973733 to be considered under non-competitive procedures.
Current Commissioned Corps Officers and boarded applicants interested in applying for this position must send their professional resume (not Curriculum Vitae) and cover letter to DSRWS-CC@cms.hhs.gov in lieu of applying through this announcement. You are to include the Job Announcement Number in the subject line and your current rank / application status in your email. Failure to provide this information may impact your consideration for this position.
NOTE: If selected for an interview, a writing sample will need to be provided at that time.
- Not Required
ALL QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS MUST BE MET BY THE CLOSING DATE OF THIS ANNOUNCEMENT.
In order to qualify at the GS-15 grade level, you must meet the following: You must demonstrate in your resume at least one (1) year of qualifying specialized experience equivalent to the GS-14 grade level in the Federal Government, including: 1) planning, coordinating, implementing, or evaluating media strategy and outreach, including press releases, fact sheets, talking points, blogs, or news-related material; 2) advising or briefing the media, senior officials, or key stakeholders; and 3) planning, directing, and assessing work activities of employees.
Click the following link to view the assessment questionnaire: View Assessment Questions
Conditions of Employment:
1. Security and Background Requirements: If not previously completed, a background security investigation will be required for all selectees. Appointment will be subject to the applicant's successful completion of a background security investigation and favorable adjudication. Failure to successfully meet these requirements may be grounds for appropriate personnel action. In addition, if hired, a background security reinvestigation or supplemental investigation may be required at a later time. Applicants are also advised that all information concerning qualifications is subject to investigation. False representation may be grounds for non-consideration, non-selection and/or appropriate disciplinary action.
- Optional Form 306 Declaration of Federal Employment available at http://www.opm.gov/forms/pdf_fill/of0306.pdf. This form is not required to be submitted at the time of submitting your application. However, if selected, this form will be required prior to final job offer.
2. E-Verify: The Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services participates in the Electronic Employment Eligibility Verification Program (E-Verify). E-Verify helps employers determine employment eligibility of new hires and the validity of their Social Security numbers. Click here for more information.
3. Selective Service: Male applicants born after 12/31/1959 must have registered for the Selective Service. Click here for more information.
4. Direct Deposit: All Federal employees are required to have Federal salary payments made by direct deposit to a financial institution of their choosing.5. Oath of Office: All Federal employees are required to take the Oath of Office and sign Standard Form (SF) 61, Appointment Affidavits.
- SF 61 Appointment Affidavits available at http://www.opm.gov/forms/pdf_fill/sf61.pdf. This form is not required to be submitted at the time of submitting your application. However, if selected, this form will be required at the time of in-processing.
Public Trust - Background Investigation