Scientific Writer I (902-679)
The Technical Writer I position is responsible for assisting the other Technical Writers with preparing high-quality, submission-ready documents containing scientific and technical content. The Technical Writer I will interface with the other Technical Writers, Scientific Liaisons, internal groups, and external groups, including Expert Committees and authors, while assisting the Technical Writers with the accurate and timely completion, review, and delivery of scientific and technical materials.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Provide planning support for meetings of the Council of Experts and its various volunteer groups (Expert Committees, Expert Panels, Subcommittees, Advisory Groups, Joint Standards-Setting Subcommittees), Stakeholder Forums, Roundtables, Workshops, mid-cycle meetings, and other meetings as requested in concert with the Chair of the Council of Experts, staff of the Science Division (SD) by collaborating with the scientific liaisons and leaders of each standards-setting areas.
- Provide notetaking support for the Council of Experts’ unofficial and working meetings
- Perform QC of content, which includes ensuring that references, grammar, spelling, and formatting are correct
- Assist with ensuring that USP written content and materials adhere to the correct style, as set forth in the USP-NF Style Guide, General Chapter and Stimuli Article Style Guide, USP Minutes Style Guide, and related resources, e.g., Chicago Manual of Style, ACS, and AMA
- Ensure that content meets customer needs and specifications and adheres to quality standards for graphics, format, style, and delivery
- Participate in special projects when requested
- Maintain current knowledge of relevant technology as assigned
- Perform all other job duties as requested or assigned
- Bachelor’s degree in a scientific field, English, communications, journalism, or technical writing
- 1 year of experience as a scientific or technical writer or editor
- Mastery of the English language, with a comprehensive understanding of and correct use of English grammar
- Outstanding written communication skills
- Knowledge of researching, writing, editing, and reviewing scientific or technical documents
- Strong proofreading and copyediting skills
- Knowledge of the methods, techniques, and procedures of scientific and technical writing tasks
- Highly detail oriented, paying close attention to accuracy, consistency, and clarity of the written information
- Proficient in Window OS and Microsoft Office products (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Strong interpersonal, communication, and organizational skills
- Ability to adapt style and content for different target audiences
USP offers an impressive benefits package, including:
- Generous paid time off – 13 paid holidays, 10 sick days and 15 vacation days per year to start
- An annual 401(k) contribution, beginning after 1 year of service, of 10% of pay (base and bonus) every pay period that vests immediately
- Comprehensive individual and family healthcare plans with affordable premiums and low annual deductibles ($250/individual or $500/family)
The U.S. Pharmacopeial Convention (USP) is a scientific nonprofit organization that sets standards for the identity, strength, quality, and purity of medicines, food ingredients, and dietary supplements manufactured, distributed and consumed worldwide. USP’s drug standards are enforceable in the United States by the Food and Drug Administration, and these standards are used in more than 140 countries.
Being a part of USP means belonging to a diverse culture made up of more than 1,000 talented professionals working together at five international locations. We share our expertise in science, IT, human resources, quality assurance, communications, administrative management, and more...all to support an overall mission dedicated to making a difference by providing standards and programs that help improve the quality of medicines, dietary supplements, and foods worldwide.
USP is proud to be an equal employment opportunity employer (EEOE) and affirmative action employer. Employment selection and related decisions are made without regard to sex, race, age, disability, religion, national origin, color, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other protected class. We are committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities.
USP does not accept unsolicited resumes from 3rd party recruitment agencies and is not responsible for fees from recruiters or other agencies except under specific written agreement with USP.Job Location Rockville, Maryland, United States Position Type Full-Time/Regular