Program Specialist-Recent Graduate (Student Trainee USDA Pathways Internship Program)
The Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS) is the agency in the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) responsible for protecting the publics health by ensuring the safety of the Nations commercial supply of meat, poultry, and processed egg products.
USDA is a great place to start or continue your career. It's ranked as one of the top 10 "Best Places to Work in the Federal Government" by the Partnership for Public Service (Best Places to Work Rankings).
Rankings are based on employee feedback regarding satisfaction with their work experience. For more information on USDA and the Food Safety and Inspection Service, visit FSIS.
This position is located in the Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS), Office of Outreach Employee Education and Training (OOEET) located in Beltsville, MD.
This is an Excepted Service appointment under the Pathways Recent Graduates Program. The program duration is one year and the entire duration of the appointment constitutes a trial period. Upon successful completion of the program and at the agency's discretion, the appointee may be eligible for non-competitive conversion to a Federal career or career-conditional appointment.
For more information on the Pathways Recent Graduates Program, please visit: https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/hiring-information/students-recent-graduates/
- Not Required
In order to be eligible for an appointment under the Pathways Recent Graduate Program you must meet the following requirements:
- You must be a recent graduate who has completed, within the previous two years, an associates, bachelors, masters, professional, doctorate, vocational or technical degree or certificate from a qualifying educational institution such as an accredited technical or vocational school; a 2- or 4-year college or university; a graduate or professional school (e.g., law school, medical school); or a post-secondary home school curriculum. Note: Certificate program is defined as post-secondary education in a qualifying educational institution equal to at least one academic year of full-time study that’s part of an accredited college-level, technical, trade, vocational, or business school curriculum.
- Veterans who were precluded from applying due to their military service obligation begin their 2-year eligibility period upon release or discharge from active duty; however, eligibility for these veterans cannot exceed 6 years from the date on which the degree or certificate was obtained. The date of release or discharge from active duty should be later than the date the degree or certificate was obtained. For more information about Federal employment information for veterans, go to OPM's Feds Hire Vets (external link)
To qualify for the GS-05 level - Completion of all requirements for a bachelors degree or equivalent degree.
Appointments may be made permanent in the competitive service at the end of the 2-year internship; however, such placement is neither guaranteed nor an entitlement. Interns who do not perform successfully or progress sufficiently may be separated at any time during the two-year training period.
All academic degrees or course work must be completed in an educational institution that has obtained accreditation from an accrediting body recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
- Must be in good academic standing as defined by the educational institution.
- A signed participant agreement is required for employment under Pathways.
- All requirements must be met by the closing date of this announcement.
- If converted to a career or career-conditional position, the selectee must be a U.S. Citizen or U.S. Permanent Resident (with proper documentation).
- Have your salary sent to a financial institution of your choice by Direct Deposit/Electronic Funds Transfer.
- Must complete and pass a background and security investigation.