Field Service Engineer
Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer including Vets and Disabled
No. Vacancies: 1.00
Department: 16715.Network Engineering
Location: Hagerstown, MD (Mountainside)
Travel %: Less than 10%
Education: Four-year college degree
Experience: At least 3 years of experience required
Equivalency: Equivalent combination of education & experience considered
Does this position have direct reports: No
Hiring Manager: Andrew T Vonstein
Join an innovative team that is responsible for evolving the customer experience by establishing globalized connectivity without boundaries. By reaching beyond the satellite industry to leverage the broader communications landscape, our vision will define the performance and flexibility required to open new profitable markets, drive new revenue streams and ensure the most reliable and secure communications globally. To accomplish our goal, we are looking for bold thinkers who will continue our legacy of innovation for decades to come.
The successful candidate will provide support and/or lead complex L2/L3 engineering and maintenance activities associated with telecommunications systems and services at our Hagerstown, MD Teleport. Responsibilities to include service activations, project implementations, and may extend into supporting or leading design and development engineering activities within a collaborative engineering workflow environment. Position ensures the specifications, implementation, performance, and maintenance of teleport systems, services, and infrastructures deliver the highest standard of service possible to our customers and users. Position ensures engineering policies, processes, procedures, and guidelines are implemented and maintained in accordance with Field Service Engineering Group established standards. Fulfillment of roles and responsibilities is collaborative in scope with the Field Service Engineering Group, and across Intelsat engineering groups as applicable.
**THIS POSITION REQUIRES ITAR ACCESS - Applicants must be U.S. Citizen, U.S. permanent resident, or U.S. Aslyees**
- Must have an in-depth knowledge of systems level architecture and ground station equipment.
- Demonstrated in-depth working knowledge of Satellite Earth Station technologies required.
- Must have working knowledge of RF theory, and basic electronics, with specific expertise with a majority of major systems to include: antenna drive systems, High Power Amplifiers, Up/Down Converters, Fiber Optic sub-systems, Baseband (modems, multiplexers, Broadband and IP technologies) and Video technologies/systems.
- Must have demonstrated in-depth knowledge of and ability to use industry standard test equipment such as spectrum analyzers, frequency counters, power meters, synthesized generators, oscilloscopes, video wave form meters, multimeters, microwave network analyzers, network analyzers, and bit error rate test sets.
- CCNA Certification or equilavent work experience
- Must have a demonstrated ability to learn new technologies, understand intricate technical concepts and make informed decisions.
- Good written and oral communication skills in English required.
- Must have basic knowledge of personal computers and Microsoft Office software.
- Must be able and willing to travel to field service locations as necessary.
- Provide engineering technical support for all assigned teleports & 3rd Party locations, projects, programs, and initiatives.
- Lead technical resolution when performing emergency restoral actions on ground station equipment, including: up converters, down converters, HPA's, fiber optic subsystems, LNA/LNB's, antennas, IP and Baseband equipment (modems, multiplexers, DVB and Broadband technology platforms) and video systems.
- Provide teleport on-site technical support to applicable technologies and ground station equipment, providing guidance to others on operational and maintenance procedures, and providing technical training on equipment or product and services as required.
- Serve a technical lead role in operating and maintaining a wide variety of ground station equipment and communication systems.
- Serve in engineering support role as assigned for analysis, design, development, and implementation activities
- Serve a teleport technical lead role in the installation, testing and successful turn-up of new systems & services, installing and configuring equipment, associated wiring and cabling, and administrative requirements.
- Lead preventative and periodic maintenance checks of ground station equipment and associated sub-systems, validating recordings and reviews for any anomalies and taking the appropriate action to correct.
- Determine proper methods for testing equipment and RF/IF systems chains and interpret the results to verify normal/abnormal conditions of equipment.
- Provide expertise for troubleshooting problems related to complex operations issues down to Lowest Field Replaceable Unit (LFRU) or to a component level replacement when applicable.
- Pro-actively monitor the conditions of commercial services.
- This position requires ITAR access; all candidates must be US Citizens or Permanent Residents.
- These statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees assigned to this job. This is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of employees assigned to this job.
- Company description: Intelsat is the largest provider of fixed satellite services worldwide. We enable providers of media, telecom and government services to deliver information and entertainment to people at home, in the office or on the move. On a day-to-day basis, Intelsat supplies video, data and voice connectivity in approximately 200 countries and territories for approximately 1,800 customers, many of which Intelsat has had relationships with for over 30 years. Some of the world's leading media and communications companies, multinational corporations, Internet service providers and government/military organizations hallmark Intelsat's customer base. Customers access capacity through extensive service offerings, which include transponder services, hybrid managed services combining satellite capacity and terrestrial facilities, and channel services.