Research Associate III (WRAIR Entomology Branch)
GDIT is seeking a research Technician II to support WRAIR's Entomology Branch by performing the following tasks:
- Plan and resource identification services related to the identification of militarily relevant arthropod vectors.
- Develop, validate and implement molecular assays for the detection and identification of cryptic species utilizing DNA sequencing techniques to build identification assays using multiple platforms.
- Develop standard operating procedures to formalize testing procedures using these assays so that multiple testing entities may produce comparable data suitable for use in surveillance programs.
- Develop, validate and utilize traditional taxonomic keys to identify vector species.
- Provide vector identification support services for DoD costumers and research collaborators upon request.
- Collect and process geospatial field vector surveillance data for adding to Walter Reed Biosystematics Unit (WRBU’s) curated database of collection record
- Evaluate published surveillance data and collection records for inclusion in the databas
- Process for inclusion field surveillance data from WRBU collection activities as well as those of WRBU partners
- Provide vector distribution maps, field data collection maps, predictive models, temporal estimates of occurrence, as well as other mapping products that are requested to support the development of vector disease risk assessments
- Provide partner support for field collection data management
- Maintain and support online fillable forms for partner use, to include partner account management, basic database management, coordination of effort between partners and WRBU’s geospatial mapping and data archival activity, and training support for the use of such products
- Provide and support a vector field data surveillance archival repository for WRBU partners and for DoD vector surveillance data worldwide
- In concert with the SI Office of Computer and Information Operations, shall provide WRBU day-to-day website maintenance and support to include front end management, online identification tools development and management, maintenance of a literature database, and management of online tutorial tools
- Provide support for the development of online educational tools for vector specimen collection, processing, identification, and data managemen
- Ensure that all submitted specimens to WRBU are properly processed and accessioned into the NMNH collections.
- Support the management of specimen loans and visitor requests for access to NMNH collections for which WRBU is responsible.