4 days left
- Full Time
Become a part of the Department that touches the lives of every American! At the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) you can give back to your community, state, and country by making a difference in the lives of Americans everywhere. It is the principal agency for protecting the health of citizens. Join HHS and help to make our world healthier, safer, and better for all Americans.
This position is located at the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS), Food and Drug Administration (FDA), Center for Devices and Radiological Health (CDRH), Office of In Vitro Diagnostics and Radiological Health (OIR) located in Silver Spring, MD.
This vacancy is also being announced concurrently with vacancy announcement FDA-CDRH-17-MP-10016102AS under merit promotion procedures. Please review that announcement to see if you are eligible for consideration under merit promotion procedures. NOTE: Applicants must apply separately for each announcement in order to be considered.
Additional selections may be made within the same geographical area FDA wide.
- Occasional Travel
- You may be expected to travel domestically for this position up to 5% of the time.
In order to qualify for the Medical Technologist, 0644/13 level, you must meet the following basic requirement (you must submit a copy of your transcripts) AND specialized experience below.
A.) A bachelor's or higher degree in medical technology, chemistry, or biology that included or was supplemented by at least 16 semester hours of biological science of which one course was in microbiology and one course was in immunology, the remaining biology courses must have been in general biology or zoology; 16 semester hours of chemistry of which one course was in organic or biochemistry. The remaining chemistry courses must have been in general chemistry, qualitative analysis, qualitative chemistry, quantitative chemistry, physical chemistry, analytical chemistry; and 3 semester hours of college mathematics.
B.) Completed a four year course of study in an accredited college or university that included or was supplemented by at least 12 months in a college or hospital-based medical technology program or medical technology school approved by a recognized accrediting organization. The professional medical technology curriculum may have consisted of a 1-year post-baccalaureate certificate program or the last 1 or 2 years of a 4-year program of study culminating in a bachelor's in medical technology.
C.) Completed a combination of (1) at least 35 semester hours of biological science, chemistry, and mathematics as described in paragraph A above and (2) additional appropriate education and/or experience totaling 4 years. This combination of education and experience must have provided knowledge of the theories, principles, and practices of medical technology equivalent to that provided by the full 4-year course of study described in A or B above. All science and mathematics courses must have been acceptable for credit toward meeting the requirements for a science major at an accredited college or university. Acceptable experience is responsible professional or technician experience in a hospital laboratory, health agency, industrial medical laboratory, or pharmaceutical house; or teaching, test development, or medical research program experience that provided an understanding of the methods and techniques applied in performing professional clinical laboratory work. Additionally, certification/licensure as a medical technologist (generalist) obtained through written examination by a nationally recognized credentialing agency or State licensing body would constitute acceptable experience.
You must have at least one full-time year (12-months) of specialized experience equivalent to at least the GS-12 grade level in the Federal service that included:
- Reviewing scientific data or information to identify risks or problems and assist in disposition recommendations of in vitro diagnostics, medical devices, or radiological health products;
- Using established scientific procedures or techniques to evaluate in vitro diagnostics, medical devices, or radiological health products; and
- Making recommendations to supervisor concerning regulatory or scientific guidance related to in vitro diagnostics, medical devices, or radiological health products.
IN DESCRIBING YOUR EXPERIENCE, PLEASE BE CLEAR AND SPECIFIC. WE MAY NOT MAKE ASSUMPTIONS REGARDING YOUR EXPERIENCE. If your resume does not support your questionnaire answers, we will not allow credit for your response(s).
NOTE: Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through national Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; community; student; social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to gain employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience. If such experience is on a part-time basis, you must provide the average number of hours worked per week as well as the beginning and ending dates of the experience so it can be fully credited.
If you are claiming education as any part of your qualifications for this position, you must submit an official transcript, unofficial transcript, or a list including courses, grades earned, completion dates, and quarter and semester hours earned. If you are using education completed in foreign colleges or universities to meet the qualification requirements, you must show that the education credentials have been evaluated by a private organization that specializes in interpretation of foreign education programs and such education has been deemed equivalent to that gained in an accredited U.S. education program. For further information, click on foreign education.
Conditions of Employment:
- Security and Background Requirements: Appointment will be subject to the applicant's successful completion of a background security investigation. Failure to successfully meet these requirements may be grounds for appropriate personnel action. If hired, a background security reinvestigation or supplemental investigation may be required at a later time. Applicants are also advised that all information concerning qualifications is subject to investigation. False representation may be grounds for non-consideration, non-selection and/or appropriate disciplinary action.
- E-Verify: If you are selected for this position, the documentation that you present for purposes of completing the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) Form I-9 will be verified through the DHS "E-Verify" System. Federal law requires DHS to use the E-Verify System to verify employment eligibility of all new hires, and as a condition of continued employment obligates the new hire to take affirmative steps to resolve any discrepancies identified by the system. The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services is an E-Verify Participant.
- Direct Deposit: All Federal employees are required to have Federal salary payments made by direct deposit to a financial institution of their choosing.
- Pre-employment physical required: No
- Drug testing required: No
- License required: No
- Mobility agreement required: No
- Immunization required: No
- Incentives may be authorized; however, this is contingent upon funds availability. If authorized, certain incentives will require you to sign a service agreement to remain in the Federal government for a period of up to 3 years. Note: This statement does not imply nor guarantee an incentive will be offered and paid. Incentives include the following: moving expenses, recruitment or relocation incentive; student loan repayment, superior qualifications appointment, creditable service for annual leave for prior non-federal work experience or prior uniformed military service, etc.
- Bargaining Unit Position: Yes
- All qualification requirements must be met by the closing of the announcement.
- Please be advised that this position will be subject to FDA's strict prohibited financial interest regulation and may require the incumbent of this position to divest of certain financial interests. Applicants are strongly advised to seek additional information on this requirement from the FDA hiring official before accepting this position.
Q - Nonsensitive