Supervisory IT Specialist GS-2210-15 (DE/CR)
2 days left
- Full Time
This position is located within National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA), National Weather Service (NWS), Environmental Modeling Center (NCEP), College Park, MD.
The full promotion potential level for this position is GS-15.
This position is also announced under vacancy number NWS-NCEP-2017-0060, which is open to status candidates. You must apply to both announcements if you want to be considered for both.
*A one year supervisory probationary period may be required.
*Payment of relocation expenses is authorized.
*This position is not in the bargaining unit.
This vacancy may be used to fill other Supervisory IT Specialist GS-2210-15 positions throughout NOAA. The position must be alike (e.g.: within the same geographic locations, same grade/band requires the same qualifications as indicated in this vacancy announcement).
- Occasional Travel
- 5% Domestic and Foreign
- Authorized for all applicants
Qualification requirements in the vacancy announcements are based on the U.S. Office of Personnel Management (OPM) Qualification Standards Handbook, which contains federal qualification standards. This handbook is available on the Office of Personnel Management's website located at: http://www.opm.gov/qualifications.
Basic Requirements: There is no positive education requirement for this position. However, for all positions individuals must have IT-related experience demonstrating each of the four competencies listed below and at least one year of specialized experience in order to be found minimally qualified.
1. Attention to detail - Is thorough when performing work and conscientious about attending to detail.
2. Customer Service - Works with clients and customers (that is, any individuals who use or receive the services or products that your work unit produces, including the general public, individuals who work in the agency, other agencies, or organizations outside the Government) to assess their needs, provide information or assistance, resolve their problems, or satisfy their expectations; knows about available products and services; is committed to providing quality products and services.
3. Oral Communication - Expresses information (for example, ideas or facts) to individuals or groups effectively, taking into account the audience and nature of the information (for example, technical, sensitive, controversial); makes clear and convincing oral presentations; listens to others, attends to nonverbal cues, and responds appropriately.
4. Problem Solving - Identifies problems; determines accuracy and relevance of information; uses sound judgement to generate and evaluate alternatives, and to make recommendations.
SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE: Applicants must possess one year of specialized experience equivalent in difficulty and responsibility to the next lower grade in the Federal service. Specialized experience is experience that has equipped the applicant with the particular competencies /knowledge, skills and abilities to successfully perform the duties of the position. This experience need not be in the Federal government.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations e.g., professional; philanthropic, religious; spiritual; community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies; knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
To qualify at the GS-15 grade level: SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE: One full year (52 weeks) of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-14 grade level in the Federal service. Specialized experience MUST include all of the following:
- Designing, testing, implementing and maintaining scripts, codes, software repositories, workflow, and related applications and tools for environmental modeling and data processing systems.
- Operating and enhancing software on high performance computing systems (HPC), to include optimization for massively parallel processing.
- Managing projects and teams providing software engineering support for research and development activities related to environmental modeling.
College Transcript: If you are qualifying based on education, submit a copy of your college transcript that lists college courses detailing each course by the number and department (i.e., bio 101, math 210, etc.), course title, number of credit hours and grade earned. You must submit evidence that any education completed in a foreign institution is equivalent to U.S. education standards with your resume. You may submit an unofficial copy of the transcript at the initial phase of the application process. If course content cannot be easily identified from the title of the course as listed on your transcript, you must submit an official course description from the college/university that reflects the content at the time the course was taken.
Note: Your college transcript is used to verify successful completion of degree, or college course work. An official college transcript will be required before you can report to duty.
Q - Nonsensitive