Senior Financial and Administrative Assistant - NAM Executive Office
The National Academy of Medicine (NAM) was established in 1970 (as the Institute of Medicine) and is an independent organization of eminent professionals from health and medicine; the natural, social, and behavioral sciences; and other fields. Through its domestic and global initiatives, the National Academy of Medicine works to facilitate and catalyze progress on critical issues in health, health care, and biomedical science.
The NAM works together with the National Academy of Sciences and the National Academy of Engineering as the National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine to provide independent, objective analysis and advice to the nation and conduct other activities to solve complex problems and inform public policy decisions. The National Academies also encourage education and research, recognize outstanding contributions to knowledge, and increase public understanding in matters of science, engineering, and medicine.
The Senior Financial and Administrative Assistant performs a variety of routine accounting and financial functions in accordance with standard procedures. Reviews receipts and expenditures to ensure conformance to budget and/or other compliance requirements. Contacts departments and/or outside agencies to resolve problems. Inputs data and maintains databases. Reconciles monthly financial reports. Compiles regular and special statistical reports for internal and external customers. Maintains files and records. Assists with administrative activities of the office. Maintains records and prepares reports regarding operations and personnel changes. Serves as administrative liaison with others within and outside the organization. Advises staff on policies and procedures.
Under general supervision, performs complex tasks requiring the consideration of multiple variables to determine proper course of action. While tasks are complex, most decision-making can be made within pre-determined approaches. Proceeds on own initiative in compliance with policies, procedures, and practices, but receives guidance or expertise from supervisor or higher-level staff when needed. May lead and provide functional guidance to lower level support and temporary employees.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES:
1. Runs reports from the PeopleSoft financial system and inputs/imports the data into Excel financial projections. Reconciles expenses from e-files into the projection template and inputs Labor Distribution Report data. Prepares routine reports to assist in processing paperwork and reviewing information. Produces exception reports by running statistical reports for review by the Senior Financial Officer. Prepares ad hoc reports and checks report data to ensure there aren’t problems or errors, checking for anomalies. Compiles financial data for managers. Coordinates the dissemination of information through queries and reports.
2. Audits and reviews invoices, travel expense reports, and expenses, verifying cost-centers, signatures, computations, and receipts. Researches discrepancies and resolves problems. Responds to inquiries and assists customers with questions. Contacts customers regarding outstanding paperwork or documentation. Posts information to ledgers and processes payments. Prepares cost transfers. Initiates transfer of funds for executed contracts and amendments.
3. Receives and processes cash, credit, and check transaction payments, reconciles receipts, and prepares refunds as necessary. Posts information and compiles segments of monthly closings. Researches issues, answers inquiries, and resolves problems.
4. Initiates and tracks purchase orders for contracts, and goods and services. Reviews, tracks, and audits contract packages. Assists in the negotiation of purchase terms and discounts. Monitors vendor payments. Verifies and reviews calculations and method of payments, ensuring consistency with the type and funding of contracts. Monitors potential contract problems, spending limits, deliverables and reporting requirements. Prepares and tracks written requests to vendors who are delinquent in their responsibilities. Inform supervisor of contract problems.
5. Tracks licenses and maintenance agreements. Takes appropriate action pending maintenance, expiration, upgrade, and renewals.
6. Maintains unit financial system and related databases and records. Enters and files new awards and budgets in the financial system. Enters relevant data into the necessary subsystem(s) so expenses are correctly processed in the financial system.
7. Assists in the review and development of budgets and projections. Assist in year-end process, compiling reports and providing support to other financial staff. Provides research assistance to supervisor, compiling information on contract history, payments, and expenditures.
8. Assists with the implementation of new systems and procedures.
9. Serves as a resource to staff concerning routine financial matters. Assists in training new staff on financial and accounting rules.
10. May track and maintain inventory. May serve as unit time and attendance coordinator and/or telephone unit coordinator. Coordinates telephone and computer set up and moves.
11. Assist with personnel actions for unit including the new hire process, processing status changes, coordinating temporary staff, and preparing paperwork for supplemental staff arrangements. Assists with staff development activities for the unit. Assists with interviewing and reference verification for professional staff. May interview applicants for administrative staff positions in the unit.
12. Creates and maintains record and filing systems. Tracks changes and trends, compiling and reporting information to unit director.
13. Responsible for the administrative planning and logistics of unit events such as staff meetings holiday parties and other unit gatherings. May assist with meetings and events in the President and Executive Offices, such as meetings with external visitors, and other meetings for special initiatives. This may include planning and coordinating travel, lodging, and other logistics for meetings, as well as coordinating meeting space, equipment, and catering needs. Prepares meeting materials.
14. Performs a variety of advanced office tasks, including answering the main unit telephone line, preparing and processing correspondence, such as letters, birthday cards, and holiday cards, and opening, sorting, and responding to mail. May arrange conference calls.
15. Provides instruction and assistance on all unit and National Academies’ financial and administrative issues, policies, and procedures.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
Knowledge of accounting and bookkeeping procedures and financial principles. Highly Skilled in Microsoft Excel. Ability to solve routine problems through selection and application of commonly used rules, procedures, and precedents. Ability to work successfully in a team environment. Ability to develop relationships with co-workers and employees in other National Academies’ departments through effective communication. Excellent communication skills with a proven ability to effectively interact with all levels of employees. Demonstration of keen attention to detail.
If you already have an account created with the Academies, to apply to this position, click “Add to my Jobs” with your login information. If this is your first time applying with the Academies, please click “Apply for this position” below.