- Full Time
SmithBucklin, a 100 percent employee-owned association management company, is looking for a Senior Accountant to join our Financial Management & Accounting Services (FMAS) team in Chicago. Our FMAS unit provides client organizations with substantial experience, resources and proven practices in non-profit financial management, including not only a comprehensive set of accounting services, but also decision-support tools and guidance. The Senior Accountant will act as a mini-controller, handling all aspects of financial management for our diverse client base.
What You Will Do
- Oversee accounting operations for several clients spanning various industries
- Perform detailed review and analysis of client financial statements for direct issuance without additional manager review
- Prepare customized financial statements as directed by supporting admin teams and the client accounting manager
- Partner with admin teams to produce any needed financial analysis and additional reporting
- Interact with the admin team to perform research, answer questions about the financial statements and explain accounting procedures
- Interact with client board members upon request to answer questions about the financial statements and explain accounting procedures
- Supervise and train members of the accounting team, as needed; activities include conducting annual performance reviews
- Account for and analyze client investments
- Assist the admin team and our tax professional in tax and other regulatory matters
- Act as a liaison to client auditors during the annual audit
- Participate in service unit operational activities, to include annual budgeting, initiatives, hiring and review of candidates
- Participate in the annual review and sale of accounting fees
- Participate in continuing education classes with the intent to grow as an individual and to impart new knowledge to the service unit
This Role Might Be for You If…
- You are extremely well organized and highly dependable
- You are a self-starter and are highly adaptable to an ever-changing, highly matrixed environment
- You possess excellent communication skills and have the ability to juggle multiple competing priorities
- You have a proven track record of excellent service to internal and external clientele
- You have the ability to travel up to 5%
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting from an accredited four-year institution
- A minimum of 2-3 years of relevant and progressive accounting experience
- CPA is preferred
- Experience in small-firm public accounting is preferred
- Demonstrated leadership and/or supervisory experience is a plus
- Proven analytical ability and judgment that comes with varied accounting experience
- Proficiency with basic computer programming, including the Microsoft Office Suite (notably Access and Excel)
Where Do You Fit?
Whether you are just beginning your career or are a mid- or senior-level professional, working at SmithBucklin will offer you countless opportunities to develop transferrable skills, acquire meaningful knowledge and gain rich experiences at an accelerated pace. By working collaboratively with smart, ambitious, multi-talented, genuine and hardworking colleagues, you will build meaningful, deep and enduring relationships that will serve you well throughout your career, regardless of your chosen path. In addition, as a 100 percent employee-owned company, SmithBucklin offers all of our people - regardless of position or compensation - an equal chance to experience the fulfillment and reap the benefits of ownership. As owners, our employees control the destiny of SmithBucklin and are unified in the goal of building a great, enduring company.
Equal Employment Opportunity
At SmithBucklin Corporation, Equal Employment Opportunity is our commitment and goal. All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, gender, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, veteran status, marital status or any other protected status designated by federal, state or local law. Applicants are encouraged to confidentially self-identify when applying. Employment is contingent upon successful completion of a reference and background investigation based on position.