Public Affairs Manager
The Public Affairs Manager will assist in the execution of ASBMB public affairs programs and manage Public Affairs Advisory Committee operations, and work closely with ASBMB public affairs leadership in developing, articulating and implementing public policy positions on behalf of ASBMB.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
- Serves as staff liaison to Public Affairs Advisory Committee:
- Maintains a database of committee membership and provide updates to IT distribution lists.
- Creates and manages websites and electronic interactive forms for meetings, nominations, voting, administrative use, etc.
- Prepares agendas and minutes for review.
- Coordinates new committee member orientations and prepares presentations.
- Develops and advances policy objectives:
- Tracks congressional / legislative issues as assigned.
- Drafts correspondence, testimony, position statements, action alerts, talking points and press statements on assigned portfolio of issues.
- Assists with the coordination of annual ASBMB Hill Day advocacy visits, including scheduling meetings with congressional offices and preparing background materials.
- Write articles and other content for policy blog.
- Arranges meetings for ASBMB leadership with members of Congress, congressional staff and agency officials. Prepares all background materials for scheduled meetings.
- Positions may be reassigned and responsibilities may be modified or changed at any time to fulfill organizational requirements.
Skills and Qualifications
- Bachelor's degree in Public Policy or Biomedical Sciences required.
- At least 1-3 years of experience in science and/or public policy, and 1 year in congressional relations and/or non-profit advocacy.
- Must have excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Must have the ability to consistently meet deadlines and stay organized.
- Must be able to work both independently and as part of a team.
- Must have strong Microsoft Word, PowerPoint and Excel skills.