Sr. Antiparasitic Biologist - Drug Discovery
GDIT is seeking a Senior Antiparasitic In Vivo Biologist for Drug Discovery to support the mission of the Experimental Therapeutics (ET) Branch of the Walter Reed Army Institute of Research (WRAIR). The mission of the WRAIR Branch of Experimental Therapeutics is to discover and develop new pharmaceutical agents to protect military members from death, disease, and injury. The ET Branch is organized into three distinct departments which contribute to the different phases leading to FDA drug approval. The three comprising departments are the Departments of Drug Discovery, Drug Development, and Clinical Pharmacology.
This position is in direct support of the Department of Drug Discovery. Specific tasks include:
- Manage and implement the evaluation of antiparasitic drugs in vivo.
- Provide technical expertise for in vivo antiparasitic assays and animal models to include: expertise in the designing and scheduling of studies for the Perkin Elmer Spectrum In Vivo Imaging System (IVIS), data analysis of results, and the reporting of results for publication or for use in drug development efforts.
- Manage and perform the in vivo malaria blood-stage efficacy Modified Thompson Test animal protocol in ICR mice (using Plasmodium berghei) and analyze, report, and present results as needed.
- Manage and perform the in vivo Mouse Leishmania Lesion Suppression Assay (MLS) in BALB/c mice and Syrian Golden hamsters using Leishmania major. The contractor shall also analyze, report, and present results as needed.
- Manage and perform the in vivo Mouse Leishmania Lesion Cure Assay (MLL) in BALB/c mice and Syrian Golden hamsters using L. major, L. guyanensis, and L. panamensis. The contractor shall also develop and optimize the MLL assay for use on the mouse footpad. The contractor shall also analyze, report, and present results as needed.
- Prepare and provide required records and assurances for all Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee documents (IACUC) (e.g. protocols, amendments, and reports) prior to approval of those documents on behalf of the Department of Discovery for antiparasitic research and serve as the Principal Investigator on appropriate animal protocols.
- Innovate, conduct testing, and sustain in vivo animal models for antiparasitic drug discovery and development by validating and establishing new drug screens using new parasite strains and animal species as needed.
- Assist in the evaluation of pre-clinical animal model results to aid in the selection of lead antiparasitic candidates for IND submission and produce appropriate peer-reviewed publications and FDA-approved Study Reports to the Division of ET IPTs.
- Attend and present at relevant national scientific conferences, if required by Department of Discovery.
- Serve in a supervisory capacity to several animal lab technicians.
- Engage in grant writing with external collaborators as need by the Department of Discovery.
- Physical Capabilities: Work may involve long periods of standing and handling of BSL2 level infectious agents, toxic chemicals, and blood-borne pathogens. Work will require the ability to operate research equipment requiring manual dexterity. The ability to handle research animals is also needed.
- Work Environment: Biosafety Level (BSL) 2 laboratory and animal BSL 2 laboratory. Potential exposure to infectious agents, toxic chemicals, and blood-borne pathogens. Must be able to wear appropriate personal protective equipment. Will also work in an office setting.
- Bachelors Degree in a scientific discipline.
- 2-5 years of related experience in scientific research and analysis.
As a trusted systems integrator for more than 50 years, General Dynamics Information Technology provides information technology (IT), systems engineering, professional services and simulation and training to customers in the defense, federal civilian government, health, homeland security, intelligence, state and local government and commercial sectors.With approximately 32,000 professionals worldwide, the company delivers IT enterprise solutions, manages large-scale, mission-critical IT programs and provides mission support services.GDIT is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer - Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities.