Program Associate: Communications and Branding
Under the immediate supervision of the Deputy Director, the Program Associate: Communications and Branding will set and guide the strategy for all Partnership communications, website content, and public relations messages to ensure the mission and Promise of Community Action is consistently communicated. Position will work closely with CEO and leadership team as the communications partner on a variety of strategic initiatives including branding efforts done in collaboration with the Community Action Network. Salary is $48,000 – 52,000 per year based on experience. Send cover letter and resume outlining experience and interest in the position to firstname.lastname@example.org noting “Program Associate: Communications and Branding” in the subject line. No calls please.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES/ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
- Produce eNewsletters no less than twice weekly; responsible for both content and design.
- Develop and update agency website; responsible for content, graphics, pictures.
- Develop and deploy social media content on various platforms including Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, YouTube, and Instagram.
- Develop and deploy Annual Community Action Month Toolkit (print and online). Includes working with member agencies to implement toolkit items in the field as well as developing communications for the national office as part of national Community Action Month (May).
- Provide training on communication tools and the use social media to membership via web training platform and at live Partnership conferences.
- Attend Community Action Partnership national and regional hosted events, including but not limited to annual convention held in August and winter conference in January. At events, develop and deploy communication tools to update attendees and share event happenings.
- Draft press releases and respond to media inquiries.
- Coordinate press contacts and press events; respond to media inquiries, develop story ideas for press contacts
- Stay abreast of media coverage focused on poverty and economic opportunity and related issues; develop ideas for stories, newsletter content, white papers, etc. and draft content.
- Stay abreast of media coverage of local Community Action Agencies and develop content on success stories to share on various communication platforms.
- Consult with all staff on communication needs, platforms, and products
- Act as primary staff on branding efforts both internally to the Partnership and nationally with the Community Action Network.
- Attend meetings and events on behalf of the Partnership.
- Compile Community Action Partnership news coverage for board distribution and follow up on stories to develop ongoing bank of success stories.
- Generate story ideas, write and edit articles, and oversee production of The Promise, the Partnership’s quarterly magazine if it continues production.
- Draft quarterly communications reports for Board meetings.
Other Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide general and administrative support for the annual convention.
- Performs all other duties as assigned by the CEO.
To execute this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required:
- Expert knowledge of the principles of public relations, media relations, and brand management.
- Expert knowledge of social media platforms Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, and willingness to learn and become adept as new platforms are developed.
- Knowledge of community-based nonprofits and units of local government, Community Action preferred.
- Ability to build and grow effective media relationships and promotional partnerships.
- Ability to create successful promotional opportunities for events and initiatives.
- Outstanding oral and written communication and presentation skills.
- Demonstrated experience in:
- Cause-related marketing and PR
- Copy writing and editing.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and high ethical standards.
- Sensitivity to diverse cultures, races, and low-income family and community situations.
- Ability to think creatively, to implement innovative ideas, and to be a key contributor to Partnership goals.
- Minimum five (5) years of experience in a communications or marketing role in nonprofits or association.
- Minimum four-year Bachelor of Arts or Sciences degree required.
- Marketing, communications, journalism, or a related field of study.
- Experience in membership or nonprofits.
- Experience in communicating issues impacting low-income communities.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions:
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; and talk or hear. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions:
- The noise level in the regular work environment is usually moderate.
- The ability to travel for activities such as meetings, classes, and workshops in and out of the area.
- Must be able to travel by air to attend training, conferences, and related activities.