Official Court Reporter
An Official Court Reporter for the D.C. Courts is responsible for the verbatim reporting of judicial and administrative proceedings to which assigned, regardless of the nature, difficulty, or location for the proceedings conducted and, when requested, is further responsible for the accurate preparation and timely submission of the official transcript of the proceedings which constitutes an official record.
The incumbent is an energetic, optimistic professional who enjoys working with a diverse group of Court personnel and customers and lives the DC Courts’ values of Accountability, Excellence, Fairness, Integrity, Respect, and Transparency.
- Not Required
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: Diploma or degree from a court reporting school that is accredited by the National Court Reporters Association, plus two (2) years of experience in court reporting. Registered Professional Reporter (RPR) certification is required.
Candidates expected to provide a serial realtime hookup and a wireless realtime hookup to the Judiciary.
Certified Real-Time Reporter (CRR) certification preferred. In addition, candidates must be able to furnish adequate equipment for the efficient performance of duties, and must be able to lift materials of up to forty (40) pounds.
Documentation of education must be submitted with your application or your application will not be considered.
Please note that authorization for the release of your adult criminal record revealing any convictions and forfeitures, and any criminal cases currently pending before the courts are required. If you are selected for the position, a criminal history records check will be conducted.
High school diploma or higher education and a diploma or degree from a court reporting school that is accredited by the National Court Reporters Association.
To qualify for this position, you must submit the following:
2. Completed Vacancy Questionnaire
3. Documentation/Proof of Education/Copy of RPR Certification
4. List of professional references
All required documentation must be received by the closing date of the announcement.
Public Trust - Background Investigation
BRIEF DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES:
- Provides verbatim reporting of judicial and administrative proceedings
- Provides accurate and timely transcripts of court proceedings that constitute official court records
- Safeguards stenographic notes or voice writer of the proceedings, properly identifying records by date, judge, case title and other identifying information
- Uploads the Daily Worksheet and RTF file to the Web Transcript Tracking System (WTTS) and other routine paperwork to Division Director as requested
- Works with all of the judges of the District of Columbia Courts and supporting staff in a competent and professional manner
- Has available adequate and serviceable equipment for the efficient performance of duties without interruption to the Court's schedules
- Complies with all rules as contained in the Rules of Superior Court and the District of Columbia Court of Appeals relating to and dealing with court reporting and the timely production of transcripts and additional directives as may be required by the Division
- Takes shorthand at a minimum of 200 words per minute and must possess an excellent command of English language