Financial Specialist III
- Full Time
Multiple positions will be filled from this announcement.
Works as part of a fiscal team to provide strategic, budgeting and financial management support to the Department of Family Services. Develops, executes, monitors, analyzes and reports on budgets within the agency. Prepares short and long-range forecasts. Provides strategic budget guidance, particularly with regards to contracted services and grants. Researches and analyzes the fiscal impact of policy and/or program changes, develops recommendations, and presents findings. Provides comprehensive budget and financial management support to several large service areas. Researches budget, finance and procurement requirements and develops related budget and financial management policies, processes and tools that ensure efficient and effective operations, strong internal controls, and accurate financial reports. Completes required deliverables for the annual budget, third quarter and carryover processes, various grant budgets, and internal and external audits. Supervises fiscal staff. Must be able to think critically, solve problems, and balance multiple priorities and tasks. Requires strong analytical, computer, and customer service skills, as well as significant budgeting and financial management experience.
- Participates in the formulation and documentation of agency fiscal policies and procedures;
- Oversees the maintenance of numerous fund/subfund accounts;
- Reviews long range revenue and expenditures estimates to ensure availability of funds;
- Prepares or oversees the preparation of large agency budget;
- Researches budget, finance and procurement requirements, analyzes impact on current operations and recommends means of implementation.
- Considerable knowledge of the principles, methods, and practices of governmental budgeting and fiscal management and the ability to apply them to complex governmental systems;
- Considerable knowledge of federal, state and county policies, procedures, regulations and legislation impacting the maintenance of financial records;
- Ability to effectively supervise and coordinate the activities of staff;
- Ability to develop and implement fiscal policies and procedures.
NECESSARY SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS:
The appointee to this position will be required to complete a criminal background check to the satisfaction of the employer.
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS:Master's degree in accounting, finance, business administration or related field. Prior experience in governmental budgeting and financial management. Prior experience as a supervisor.
Ability to use a computer keyboard and calculator. Ability to communicate clearly orally and in writing. Ability to attend off-site meetings. Duties may be performed with or without reasonable accommodations.
It is the policy of Fairfax County Government to prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, sex, color, national origin, religion, age, veteran status, political affiliation, genetics, or disability in the recruitment, selection, and hiring of its workforce.
Reasonable accommodations are available to persons with disabilities during application and/or interview processes per the Americans with Disabilities Act. Contact 703-324-4900 for assistance. TTY 711. EEO/AA/TTY.