Financial Officer - PGA Executive Office
The National Academy of Sciences, National Academy of Engineering, and National Academy of Medicine work together as the National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine to provide independent, objective analysis and advice to the nation and conduct other activities to solve complex problems and inform public policy decisions. The National Academies also encourage education and research, recognize outstanding contributions to knowledge, and increase public understanding in matters of science, engineering, and medicine.
The mission of Policy and Global Affairs (PGA) is to help improve public policy, understanding, and education in matters of science, technology, and health with regard to national strategies and resources, global affairs, workforce and the economy. The division is particularly charged to identify and build synergy among the disciplines and issue areas, and to promote interaction among science, engineering, medicine and public policy. The division includes a range of standing committees and boards concerned with the vitality of the research enterprise in the US and abroad. In that connection, the units of the division focus particularly on the interaction of key institutions central to science and technology policy, on the standing of US research around the world and cooperation with Science & Engineering bodies in other countries, on the mission and organization of federal research activities, and on the sources of future manpower and funding for research.
Manages and leads financial and budgeting activities for an executive or operational unit of the National Academies or multiple units of significant scope within a division. Coordinates the activities of one or more financial functions such as fiscal and budgetary management and coordination of contract and grant efforts. Actively participates in strategic planning activities. On the program side, manages financial activities of division-wide or Academies-wide multi-year, complex projects.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES:
1. Provides financial management and analysis for major unit or multiple units. Reviews, authorizes, and approves expenditures. Generates reports using the PeopleSoft. Reconciles or oversees the reconciliation of monthly financial statements, ensuring costs are within budget, allowable, assessed to the correct project activity, and incurred within applicable period. Prepares financial projections and various financial reports, ensuring all reporting requirements are met.
2. Ensures compliance with policies, federal regulations, auditing requirements, contractual obligations, time schedules, and budgetary limitations.
3. Prepares the unit’s operating budget. Monitors throughout the year for accuracy and adjusts estimates as needed. Meets with staff regularly to review budgets and ensures funds are being used appropriately. Makes corrections as necessary.
4. Reviews and coordinates prospectuses, proposals, and contracts/grants. Prepares cost estimates for proposal submission to Federal agencies and private sponsors for projects and core support. Reviews proposed sponsor agreements to assess potential contractual problems, spending limits, deliverables, and reporting requirements. Ensures that accepted agreements are in compliance with National Academies’ policies and procedures and requirements are met. Participates in discussions with applicable parties concerning scope of work, funding, schedules, modifications, etc. On the program side, has direct contact with sponsors, Boards, and Committees and participates in discussions with sponsors concerning scope of work, funding, contractual issues, schedules, and modifications. Serves as a liaison with the Office of Contracts and Grants.
5. Develops unit financial processes and procedures. Advises staff on National Academies’ and unit policies and procedures relating to financial matters. Oversees implementation of new or revised policies and procedures, ensuring they are communicated and are complied with by staff and other applicable parties (e.g., committee members).
6. Regularly reviews work to ensure accuracy and compliance. Responds to requests from internal and external auditors, compiling and forwarding required information. Meets with auditors as necessary.
7. Manages special projects, including complex, multi-year, cross unit and/or cross-divisional activities.
8. Provides leadership and mentoring for finance employees. May supervise employees, assigning work and initiating a variety of personnel actions. Trains and develops employees to successfully perform current responsibilities and encourages development of staff for future roles. Forms effective teams and cultivates a work environment that fosters teamwork. Interprets and ensures consistent application of organizational policies. Initiates personnel actions, including performance and compensation reviews and disciplinary actions.
9. May have oversight for a variety of administrative areas such as human resources, facilities, purchasing, and telecommunications.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
Comprehensive knowledge of accounting and financial principles, related federal regulations, and OMB Circulars. Ability to perform financial analyses. Comprehensive knowledge of spreadsheet, forecasting, and other computer-based financial tools. Ability to be highly detailed and accurate in work produced. Ability to solve intellectual problems that reflect substantial variety and complexity. Serves as a resource to others in the resolution of complex problems and issues. Ability to operate with substantial latitude for independent judgement and action. Ability to work successfully in a team environment and to form and maintain effective teams. Experience working in complex environments with a high degree of organizational effectiveness. Ability to develop relationships with co-workers and employees in other National Academies’ departments through effective communication. Excellent communication skills with a proven ability to effectively interact with all levels of employees.
If you already have an account created with the Academies, to apply to this position, click “Add to my Jobs” with your login information. If this is your first time applying with the Academies, please click “Apply for this position” below.