The Design Director is the head of design for Conservation International and is responsible for strategy, integration and execution of design activities. Duties include design research and clear presentation of design project goals and objectives to the end-users, internal clients and senior leadership.
The Design Director is an experienced, creative, and multi-skilled professional, responsible for the strategic development and production of print and digital content for a variety of publications, exhibits, on screen presentations, social media, emails, web pages, and more. These products should all be executed with the highest design standards and would include a wide range of media from photography, iconography, graphs, charts and more. The successful candidate will plan, analyze, and create visual solutions to communications problems.
The Design Director is responsible for developing and Implementing project timelines and workflow, will lead content creation projects and tasks, and will ensure that they are delivered with the highest quality, on time and within budget. The candidate will have experience with managing numerous, fast-moving projects and tasks, associated budgets, staff, vendors, and consultants. The Director will require regular coordination with other team members and departments throughout Cl on a variety of projects. The ability to develop strong working relationships across functions and at all levels is key.
The Design Director will manage and inspire a staff of two designers and a photo editor as well as external freelancers and consultants. Additionally he/she will need to connect with design content creators across the global organization for the purpose of bringing a better understanding of the CI brand to remote staff, develop design skills, ensure quality control and building a network of design capabilities for sharing work.
- Lead projects and ensure that they are of the highest quality. Oversee and/or produce content for electronic materials (online, presentations, videos, PDFs, eNewsletters, etc.) and print materials related to internal and external meetings, the Cl annual report, fact sheets, brochures, reports, holiday cards, calendars, displays, and similar high
- profile marketing materials.
- Ensure that all products are designed and produced to the highest standards and that the aesthetics are consistent with and meet Cl branding guidelines and usability standards. This will range from work done by direct staff, to consultants, to other divisions within HQ and staff in the field
- Develop communications priorities, strategies, and plans for content development and design. Coordinate with teams within the division and with other divisions throughout Cl.
- Mentor, educate, inspire and manage junior design and photography staff as they develop/design materials for CI. Encourage staff to be creative and find ways to evolve the CI brand.
- This position is located in Arlington, VA, Conservation International Headquarters
This position will require strong project management skills to effectively manage what Is expected to be multiple projects of various types with various deadlines. The person holding this position will also need to be adaptable to excel in a fast-paced environment with demands that can be expected to change on a weekly-and sometimes daily-basis.
- College degree required in graphic designer or related field.
- 7-10 years experience.
- Working proficiency with the most recent Adobe Suite Including (lnDeslgn, Illustrator, Photoshop and Acrobat)
- Macintosh OSX and Windows operating systems
- Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, Powerpoint)
- Working proficiency designing templates and presentations In MS PowerPolnt and Apple Keynote
- Strong knowledge of email client/browser compatibility and email/web standards as well as a working understanding of HTML and CSS
- Comfortable with 4-color printing processes, photo editing and color-correction, press inspections and preparing files for various printing methods
- Keen eye for detail and design
- Ability to operate effectively in a fluid, multi-tasking, deadline-driven, team-based environment
- Ability to manage multiple projects, people, and deadlines
- Requires good time management and organizational skills
- Self-starter with high level of initiative and strong sense of ownership to see a project from conception to completion
- Experience creating graphs and charts from data for use in presentations and publications
- Experience managing staff (designers, photo editors, etc) and outside vendors, as well as project budgets
To apply, please also include a cover letter.