Accident Investigator, GS-1801-13 (Open to All U.S. Citizens) AW
This position is in the Office of System Safety, Office of Transit Safety and Oversight (TSO). This position will serve as an Accident Investigator within TSO, and as such, will perform around-the-clock operations of time critical accident investigations. This position will scrutinize transit operations, safety measures, and/or mechanical systems to ensure the identification of transit safety issues, conduct safety oversight of transit practices, work to improve accident investigation procedures, work closely with industry and other government agencies to promote transit safety, and develop and recommend policies and procedures governing transit accident and incident investigations.
Ideal Candidate Statement: The ideal candidate is a seasoned rail professional with extensive experience with transit accident investigations, maintenance, and operations.
- Occasional Travel
- Accident investigations may be performed at transit properties and other locations.
To meet the minimum qualifications for this position, you must meet the specialized experience requirements.
To qualify for the GS-13, you must have at least one year of specialized experience equal or equivalent to the following:
- Experience in providing technical support on all aspects of transit accident investigations.
- Experience in transit maintenance, operations, and safety.
- Experience applying analytical methods and techniques in assessing accident information in order to identify common trends.
- Experience briefing and presenting technical information on transportation or safety related topics.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
Applicants must meet all qualification requirements by the closing date of this announcement.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- SELECTIVE SERVICE: Males born after 12/31/1959 must be registered for the Selective Service.
- GOVERNMENT TRAVEL CARD: This position involves travel. A government contractor-issued travel card will be issued and must be retained for official business only.
- DEU REQUIREMENTS: Applicants selected under delegated examining procedures may be required to successfully complete a one-year probationary period (unless already completed).
Public Trust - Background Investigation