Chief Operating Officer
Under the direction of the Superintendent of Schools, the Chief Operating Officer will be directly responsible for the efficient and effective operation of all elements and programs in the Operations Division. Areas of responsibility include Maintenance, Transportation and Central Garage, Capital Improvement, Plant Operations, and Food and Nutrition Services. The Chief must also assess the personnel and budgetary needs of the school system, advise the Superintendent of Schools and members of the Senior Leadership Team, plan and organize issues and strategies, and interpret School Board policies and administrative procedures. This position presents to the School Board, City Council, and various community groups.
This position reports to the Superintendent of Schools.
Education: Master's degree from an accredited college or university with an emphasis on facility planning and management, project development, financial management, and strategic planning.
Experience: Minimum 10 years of progressive, hands-on management experience preferably within the education and/or service sector; documented experience in the area of supporting services for a large organization. Considerable knowledge of public school administration. Experience in budget analysis and preparation, and supervision of senior level administrators.
Knowledge Equivalency: None specified
- Initiates and develops overall objectives for the Department in concert with the District's Strategic Plan, assesses needs, establishes procedures, develops specific objective and strategies, and implements the processes and procedures for the evaluation of each program.
- Develops an operational framework for the Department, establishes procedures for monitoring its operation and makes changes when necessary, maintains effective communication within the Department, and develops personnel for maximum effectiveness.
- Develops an annual budget based on an analysis of needs and availability of resources, develops priorities within budgetary limitations, and approves and monitors the expenditure of funds.
- Interprets School Board policies and procedures to staff and recommends to the Superintendent of Schools policies and procedures pertinent to the operation of the Department within the system.
- Provides ongoing performance management structures for all of the major entities of the Division.
- Supports the development of the annual Capital Improvement Plan.
- Provides direction and support to the Department Facility Planner position and in the development and management of the Long Range Educational Facilities Plan.
- Work with City of Alexandria staff on a variety of issues that can range from the creation and implementation of Development Special Use Permits, regular coordination meetings, and land acquisition and school facility placement.
- Provide direction to the staff implementation and key performance indicator monitoring of the Strategic Plan Goals that impact the Operations Department.
- Annually develop the Department plan that encompasses all areas of responsibility.
Regularly evaluate all staff that are direct reports to the Chief of Operations.