With more than 25,000 members, the American Educational Research Association (AERA) is the largest national professional organization devoted to the scientific study of education and learning. Founded in 1916, AERA advances knowledge about education, encourages scholarly inquiry related to education, and promotes the use of research to improve education and serve the public good.
The American Educational Research Association seeks a Communications Associate to be part of the communications team. The ideal candidate is a dedicated professional with a strong interest in media relations and public communication. He/she will be responsible for writing, editing, and disseminating news and information about AERA to reporters, association members, and other audiences; coordinating and promoting media and special events; building and managing media and marketing lists; helping to maintain AERA website and social media content; and providing administrative support. He/she will work collaboratively with AERA staff to publicize education research results, policy briefings and other public events, public positions, and the association’s annual meeting and other events, in a role integral to other aspects of a comprehensive communications plan.
The Communications Associate works with the Director of Communications and other staff to:
- Write, edit, and disseminate news releases, statements, advisories, tip sheets, and other media and marketing materials related to education research, science policy, and AERA publications and events.
- Promote research appearing in AERA-published books and peer-reviewed journals.
- Develop and maintain print- and web-based resources on timely education topics and issue experts for education reporters.
- Monitor news coverage of education research and identify opportunities for promoting AERA’s resources and expertise.
- Prepare advance publicity for AERA’s annual meeting, organize and staff the press room, and help pitch reporters on research presentations and events taking place at the meeting.
- Organize materials, develop outreach lists, draft marketing messages, manage invitation lists, and assist with logistics for other AERA events, including Capitol Hill briefings, the annual AERA Brown Lecture in Education Research, regional public lectures, and targeted science exhibitions.
- Develop and maintain relationships with journalists and campus communications professionals.
- Liaise with researchers and university communications professionals to coordinate video-recorded interviews with authors of forthcoming AERA journal articles, and assist with the editing and production of 3–5 minute videos.
- Respond to questions/triage inquiries from AERA members and the public through various communications channels.
- Assist with the development and updating of AERA website and social media content, including recent research and AERA media mentions, in a timely way.
- Write articles for AERA’s monthly electronic newsletter.
- Edit and proofread association documents.
- Manage AERA media and marketing lists, provide administrative support as necessary, and perform other duties as assigned.
Bachelor’s degree from a four-year college or university required. Relevant fields include journalism, communications, public relations, English, marketing, and mass media; or a branch of education, public policy, social science or other science, or the liberal arts with relevant experience in communications. Knowledge of education research, social science, or science in general is a plus.
Other desired qualifications include:
- At least three years’ relevant experience in communications/marketing.
- Excellent writing, editing, and interpersonal skills.
- Strong experience with journalistic writing, a demonstrated news sense, and knowledge of AP style.
- Experience interacting with the news media.
- Demonstrated ability to translate complex policy or research content into digestible, accessible communication for lay audiences.
- Experience developing engaging content for webpages and social media.
- Experience preparing materials and organizing logistics for media/public events.
- Experience building outreach lists and marketing events to diverse audiences.
- Experience working with vendors in the production of communications pieces and dissemination of news and information.
- Experience with communication, marketing, and list-building tools, such as Cision and Leadership Directories.
- Excellent collaboration skills, particularly in soliciting and incorporating critique and feedback from multiple stakeholders.
- Ability to work collaboratively with others as well as independently.
- Detail oriented, excellent judgment, and highly organized work style.
Please submit your resume, cover letter, two relevant writing samples, and a list of three professional references to Human Resources, Attention: Communications Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Include Communications Associate in the email subject line. Applications will be reviewed and telephone interviews will be conducted with selected candidates before finalists are invited for on-site interviews. Salary and benefits are commensurate with experience and background. AERA has an excellent benefits program and a competitive salary structure.
The American Educational Research Association is an equal employment opportunity employer.
Apply for Communications Associate
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly