Recreation Assistant (Lifeguard) NF-02
The Area of Consideration for this vacancy announcement is world-wide. (Military Spouse Preference (MSP) and Involuntarily Separated Military Preference (ISMP) Preference eligible candidates are included in the area of consideration.)
Location: Gaffney Fitness Center, Fort Meade, MD
Gaffney Fitness Center provides state of the art cardiovascular equipment, free weights, and strength machines to meet patrons workout needs. Additional facilities include racquetball courts, saunas, an aerobics room, a combatives room, a 25 meter pool, and a spin room. Group fitness classes and personal training are also available.
About this position: This position is responsible for the safety of the patrons by enforcing rules, responding to incidents, and maintaining a clean and safe pool environment.
Schedule: Applicants must be able to weekends, weekdays, holidays and night duty as required.
THIS POSITION REQUIRES CERTIFICATES AS INDICATED IN THE QUALIFICATIONS SECTION. THESE CERTIFICATES MUST BE SUBMITTED WITH YOUR RESUME AT THE TIME OF APPLICATION IN ORDER TO BE CONSIDERED FOR EMPLOYMENT.
**THIS ANNOUNCEMENT IS OPEN UNTIL ALL VACANCIES ARE FILLED. IT MAY BE EXTENDED OR CLOSED PRIOR TO THE CURRENT CLOSING DATE. APPLICANTS WILL BE REFERRED TO THE SELECTING OFFICIAL AS VACANCIES OCCUR.**
1st Cut-Off Date: June 20, 2017
2nd Cut-Off Date: July 05, 2017
3rd Cut-Off Date: July 24, 2017
4th Cut-Off Date: TBD
- Not Required
Possesses and maintains the following certifications:
1. Lifeguard (American Red Cross or nationally recognized equivalent i.e. Star Guard or Ellis).
2. American Red Cross "Cardio-Pulmonary Resuscitation for the Professional.
3. CPR for the Professional Rescuer or equivalent (i.e. Star Guard or Ellis).
4. First Aid.
5. Customer service experience.
Highly Desirable: American Red Cross Lifeguard Instructor or nationally recognized equivalent i.e. Star Guard or Ellis Lifeguard Instructor Certification; OR American Red Cross Water Safety Instructor or nationally recognized equivalent i.e. Star Guard or Ellis Water Safety Instructor Certification.
(Applicants who meet the highly preferred criteria in addition to the minimum qualifications will be referred to management for consideration first)
PLEASE SUBMIT COPIES OF CERTIFICATIONS AT TIME OF APPLICATION
In addition, for facilities that use Oxygen Administration "O2 bottles" the O2 Administration certification (American Red Cross "Oxygen Administration" or nationally recognized equivalent i.e. Star Guard or Ellis Oxygen Administration) and Automated External Defibrillator (AED) certification must be obtained within two weeks of reporting for duty.
Conditions of Employment:
1. If selected, a completed and signed copy of our job application form (DA Form 3433) is required prior to entrance on duty.
2. Appointment is subject to satisfactory completion of pre-employment background checks in accordance with AR 215-3.
3. Continuous exposure to sun and prolonged periods of high temperature and humidity.
4. In case of exposure to infectious disease, incumbent is required to obtain the Hepatitis B vaccination series within a 24-hour period.
5. Applicants may be assigned to work irregular duties or when needed for special recreational events and related requirements.
6. Work hours may involve weekends, weekdays, holidays and night duty as required.
7. Successful completion of a health assessment is required.
1. Serves as lifeguard for indoor and outdoor pools (may include water parks and/or beach fronts) and works under the direction of the Installation Aquatics Program Manager or pool supervisor.
2. Performs life guarding duties and employs safety rules for the protection of the pool guests. Responsible for life guarding guests in attendance at the assigned aquatics facility. Rescues swimmers and administers first aid as required. Responsible for assisting in the conduct of aquatic swimming and water survival training according to TC 21-21. Attends aquatics and/or safety training as directed. Keeps accurate records and adequate supplies.
3. Assists with scheduling of staff and programs, tracking inventory and ordering supplies. Assists in maintaining pool and area clean and free from any hazards. Provides information to swimmers regarding safety rules and procedures. Tactfully warns patrons who repeatedly disregard safety rules, and follows facility Standard Operating Procedures for disciplinary actions. Assists in coaching or preparing the competitive and non-competitive swimming programs as required. Maintains daily logs and records as required.