Program Assistant - Board on Behavioral, Cognitive, and Sensory Sciences
6 days left
- Full Time
The National Academy of Sciences, National Academy of Engineering, and National Academy of Medicine work together as the National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine to provide independent, objective analysis and advice to the nation and conduct other activities to solve complex problems and inform public policy decisions. The National Academies also encourage education and research, recognize outstanding contributions to knowledge, and increase public understanding in matters of science, engineering, and medicine.
The Division on Behavioral and Social Sciences and Education (DBASSE) focuses the knowledge, analytical tools, and methods of the behavioral and social sciences on some of the nation's most pressing issues in efforts to understand them and to contribute to their solution. Our areas of expertise include (but are not limited to) anthropology, child development, demography, economics, education, history, law, gerontology, linguistics, political science, psychology, sociology, and statistics. The Board on Behavioral, Cognitive, and Sensory Sciences (BBCSS) focuses on psychological issues in areas such as aging, national security, brain science, and team or interdisciplinary sciences.
Under supervision, the Program Assistant provides routine clerical and administrative support, assisting in the daily execution of assigned program(s) or project(s). Provides staff support including answering phones, preparing vouchers, assembling meeting materials, and making travel arrangements. Assists in coordination of unit and committee, forum, and other types of meetings. Under direction, may enter edits in draft reports and copyedit and/or format newsletters and/or other program/project materials.
In this clerical and administrative support role, the majority of time is spent assisting in the daily execution of assigned program(s) or project(s). Under general supervision, incumbent performs tasks of varying complexity following pre-determined guidelines. Incumbent receives guidance/supervision on new assignments, but normally works independently on mastered tasks.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES:
1. Performs routine clerical tasks including word processing, copying, faxing, filing, answering and screening calls, drafting correspondence, and assisting with mailings. Responds to inquiries and follows-up on communications. Maintains and updates records, databases, and files.
2. Assists with the logistical arrangements for committee meetings, including assembling and reproducing agenda books and briefing materials. Arranges travel and lodging for staff, members, etc. Arranges food and beverage and supporting services for meetings. Registers attendees and may provide basic assistance at meetings as directed.
3. Prepares and processes invoice vouchers and travel expense reports in compliance with applicable policies and procedures.
4. Inputs edits and proofreads reports. Formats text and publications. Forwards materials to printer.
5. Performs administrative-related Federal Advisory Committee Act (FACA) tasks.
6. Attends meetings, training classes, and workshops.
7. Updates applicable databases and systems on a timely basis and ensures documents and files are accurately maintained and archived.
8. May perform basic subject-oriented literature searches for staff and committee members and gather references.
9. Where applicable, updates and maintains web pages.
10. May respond to general inquiries as directed.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite. Ability to follow instructions and resolve problems with supervisory consultation or by using closely prescribed procedures. Ability to be flexible and change directions as the job dictates. Ability to work successfully in a team environment. Ability to develop relationships with co-workers and employees in other National Academies’ departments through effective communication. Good communication and interpersonal skills with a proven ability to effectively interact with all levels of employees.
If you already have an account created with the Academies, to apply to this position, click “Add to my Jobs” with your login information. If this is your first time applying with the Academies, please click “Apply for this position” below.