Network Engineer - TS/SCI Req'd
Network Control Specialist monitors network events to identify incidents; attempts to remotely restore services and escalates higher level incidents to appropriate organizations when remote restoration is not possible.
- Performs Command Line Interface syntax on routers/switches/encryption devices within a multi-vendor environment.
- Correlates and investigates incidents to identify a root-cause to service interruptions and performs corrective actions to restore service, as well as identifies network performance issues across the enterprise.
- Responsible for the design and development of voice, video, radio-frequency, and/or data communications networks.
- Analyzes voice, video, radio-frequency, and/or data communications networks, including planning, designing, evaluating, selecting, and upgrading operating systems and protocol suites and configuring communication media with concentrators, bridges, and other devices.
- Plans network layouts and configures systems to user environments.
- Analyzes network topologies and traffic and capacity requirements.
- Supports the acquisition of hardware and software as well as subcontractor services as needed.
- May provide technical support and troubleshooting to users.
- May perform network administration duties.
- Maintains current knowledge of relevant technology as assigned.
- Participates in special projects as required.
- Monitor and investigate Network Management System (NMS) Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP) trap data and Syslog messages, troubleshoot network incidents, document findings, remotely restore services, recommend fix actions, and dispatch maintenance to appropriate organizations if remote restoration is not possible.
- Monitor and investigate network performance threshold events as well as security relevant alarms to proactively protect and preserve the functionality of the enterprise infrastructure.
- Escalate Incidents to appropriate Tier 2 personnel and detachments according to established processes and procedures.
- Perform Traffic Engineering (TE) by intelligently manipulating Open Shortest Path First (OSPF) metrics to temporarily alt-route Label Switched Path (LSP) traffic in the event of an incident or CMA Action Plan.
- Collect relevant information required for vendor Technical Assistance Cases (TACs) and provide possible resolutions where a temporary work around is feasible until failed hardware is processed via COMM Maintenance Activity (CMA) requests.