Student Records - Incoming Transcripts
Full time, Exempt, Regular, Pay Grade 2.1
University of Maryland University College seeks an Assistant Registrar, Student Records, to manage day-to-day operations and provide vision and strategic leadership as part of the Student Records unit. Under the guidance of the Associate Registrar, the Assistant Registrar is jointly responsible for the supervision and leadership of the unit, its processes, and the staff. The Assistant Registrar specifically focuses on the intake and data entry of transcripts through the enterprise management interface and will ensure adequate transfer of course data to initiate workflows for our degree audit unit. The position will manage a team of data entry staff and duties will include coaching and mentoring each member on performance standards. The Assistant Registrar must demonstrate the ability to coach the team in the process of proper data capture for various transcripts which may involve complex course subject rules and template structure. As a member of the management team, this position plays a key role in creating an office environment that engages the office staff, builds efficiency to support the campus needs and provides leadership for excellent customer service to the academic community.
Specific Responsibilities Include:
- Ability to perform Optical Character Recognition (OCR), manual entry into our student record system and transcript template process by providing logistical and technical support to the team.
- Ability to independently manage projects, provide technical assistance, and solve computing and business operations problems.
- Ability to understand and communicate technical concepts, practices, and protocols to a non-technical audience; and, to provide systems training and solutions.
- Organizational skills and ability to prioritize work and meet deadlines. Project management skills.
- Experience using complex databases; ability to define specifications for database programming. Proficiency manipulating and analyzing large volumes of data.
- Skill in analyzing and applying academic policy to office operations and incorporating creativity to meet client needs.
- Foster and mentor a student first approach through a forward thinking vision for the unit and establish innovative methods to capture transcript data in an efficient manner utilizing up to date industry tools.
- Pioneer alternative methods that will capture both bio/demo data and course work within the transcript that will accurately map to our student record system and follow built in course articulations.
Management and Leadership Skills:
- Display effective problem solving skills to successfully troubleshoot data transmittal issues to allow for the accurate upload of electronic transcripts and listed course(s) to assist with the transfer audit process.
- Excellent interpersonal, oral, and written communication skills. Excellent planning, organizational, analytical, problem solving, and customer satisfaction skills. A strong knowledge of document management systems is also required.
- Innovation and growth mindset.
- Always questioning status quo to drive new processes and practices that create efficiency, accuracy, and accountability to stakeholders.
- Focus on maximizing student success and minimizing cost to students in time, resources, money, and opportunity.
- Create unity and a positive and encouraging work environment by actively discouraging divisiveness and disharmony and encouraging communication and transparency in the department - holding both staff and other managers accountable.
- All units in the OOR need to work together to move the office forward through innovation with new technologies, collaboration in sharing ideas and keeping the student first mentality as a guiding principle in our planning.
- Leadership should hold each other accountable for making meaningful changes.
- Maximize success and minimize cost.
1. (25%) Ensure the effectiveness and quality of the Optical Character Recognition (OCR) process by creating OCR templates, addresses issues with the software, and providing supervision of the process.
2. (50%) Provide general supervision and management of the staff within the Incoming Student Records unit. Create and execute action plans for staff within the unit through a performance based coaching program.
3. (15%) Identify, create, and run reports to capture unit metrics and performance. Provide world-class customer service by assisting with phone call and email requests and addressing escalated concerns from the team.
4. (5%) As a backup, provide expeditious and accurate data entry and OCR verification of transcript and other test data.
5. (5%) Perform other duties as assigned
Total = 100%
Required Education and Experience:
- A completed Bachelor's degree from an accredited institution of higher learning
- 3 years of management experience
- 3 years of experience with a Student Records system such as People Soft/Banner and document management systems
- 1 year of experience dealing with confidential issues (documents or other)
- Proficiency in scanning, imaging, and student information systems
- Ability to effectively lead diverse and dynamic team
- Ability to problem solve and trouble shoot technical issues through a solution based approach
- Understanding of transfer credit and accreditation policies and practices
- Proficiency in Microsoft Excel and Word
Preferred Education and Experience:
- A completed Master's degree from an accredited institution of higher learning
- 3 years of increased responsibility including managerial duties
- SQL, or similar reporting utilities experience
- Proficiency in Microsoft Access
This position is available immediately and will remain open until filled.
All submissions should include a cover letter and résumé. UMUC offers competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits for qualifying positions, such as tuition remission, generous leave and healthcare. For detailed benefits information, please visit: https://careers.umuc.edu/benefits.html.The University of Maryland University College (UMUC) is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal and state laws regarding nondiscrimination. UMUC is committed to a policy of equal opportunity for all persons and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, disability, religion, ancestry, political affiliation or veteran status in employment, educational programs and activities, and admissions.
If you are an external candidate, you are required to create an account prior to completing your application. Passwords for external accounts must contain 8 characters including 1 uppercase letter, 1 number, and 1 special character. Please remember this password, as it will be required to check on the status of your application or to apply to additional jobs.