Security Control Assessor I - Secret, Crystal City, VA
Performs all procedures necessary to ensure the safety of information systems assets and to protect systems from intentional or inadvertent access or destruction.
1. Performs Computer Security Incident Response activities for a large organization, coordinates with other government agencies to record and report incidents.
2. Monitor and analyze Intrusion Detection Systems (IDS) to identify security issues for remediation.
3. Recognizes potential, successful, and unsuccessful intrusion attempts and compromises thorough reviews and analyses of relevant event detail and summary information.
4. Evaluate firewall change requests and assess organizational risk.
5. Communicates alerts to agencies regarding intrusions and compromises to their network infrastructure, applications and operating systems.
6. Assists with implementation of counter-measures or mitigating controls.
7. Ensures the integrity and protection of networks, systems, and applications by technical enforcement of organizational security policies, through monitoring of vulnerability scanning devices.
8. Performs periodic and on-demand system audits and vulnerability assessments, including user accounts, application access, file system and external Web integrity scans to determine compliance.
9. Prepares incident reports of analysis methodology and results.
10. Provides guidance and work leadership to less-experienced technical staff members.
11. Maintains current knowledge of relevant technology as assigned.
12. Participates in special projects as required.
Bachelors Degree in Computer Science or a related technical discipline, or the equivalent combination of education, professional training or work experience.
Years of Experience
5-8 years of related experience in data security administration.
- 5-7 years related experience (7 years minimum, if no degree)
- Minimum of four (4) years of experience in SAP and/or SCI Security and the implementation of regulations identified in the description of duties.
- Must possess Information Assurance Technician/Information Assurance Manager (IAT/IAM) Level II at date of hire and must possess IAT/IAM Level III within 6 months of date of hire.
- Experience with Information Assurance (IA) vulnerability scanning software tools, implementing Security Technical Implementation Guides (STIGS), and applying IA Vulnerability Assessment (IAVA) patches
- Experience creating and maintaining various security documents such as the Security Control Plan/Vulnerability Security Review (SCP/VSR), System Backup and Recovery Plans (SBRP) and Plan of Action and Milestone (POA&M) tables
This position is responsible for conducting a comprehensive assessment of the management, operational, and technical security controls employed within or inherited by an Information System (IS) to determine the overall effectiveness of the controls (i.e., the extent to which the controls are implemented correctly, operating as intended, and producing the desired outcome with respect to meeting the security requirements for the system). SCAs also provide an assessment of the severity of weaknesses or deficiencies discovered in the IS and its environment of operation and recommend corrective actions to address identified vulnerabilities. Responsibilities will cover Collateral, SAP and/or SCI activities within the customer's area of responsibilities
As a trusted systems integrator for more than 50 years, General Dynamics Information Technology provides information technology (IT), systems engineering, professional services and simulation and training to customers in the defense, federal civilian government, health, homeland security, intelligence, state and local government and commercial sectors.With approximately 32,000 professionals worldwide, the company delivers IT enterprise solutions, manages large-scale, mission-critical IT programs and provides mission support services.GDIT is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer - Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities.